Do all pre-med reqs have to be completed before applying?

UrbanDweller

5+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2010
Status
I'm curious if all of the pre-med requirements need to be completed before applying or before matriculating? I'm planning on applying this year and will still have one semester of an English course that I will need to complete. Can I complete it anytime before beginning of med school? It's the only class that I have left. I'm a non-traditional applicant with a master's degree in engineering. I'm going to take the MCAT late July and apply as soon as possible afterward.

Thanks!

PedsDoc14

5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2010
Status
Check the policies at each school you plan on applying to, but for me at least, all my schools just required that they were complete prior to matriculation.

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
As a general rule, you're fine if you complete the requirements before you start med school. Your final transcript will prove you did it. I would list the planned class as "future" coursework on the AMCAS transcript, so schools can see your plan.

Dec 18, 2009
under the sun :)
Status
Medical Student
Temple requires finishing pre-reqs before applying. Thats the only one I know...others are just before matriculation.

saqrfaraj

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Temple requires finishing pre-reqs before applying. Thats the only one I know...others are just before matriculation.
If so, they don't enforce the rule. I didn't have a few of my pre-requisites completed when I was applying and it was never an issue. Granted, that was a few application seasons ago, so maybe things have changed.