Do all schools have a pre-med committee?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Dr. Josh

What do we use the pre-med advisor for? I e-mailed mine a few days ago about setting up an appointment (I just switched to pre-med) and still hav enot heard from him. I'm entering my senior year and just switched to pre-med; so if I need advice I'm sort of running out of time. Also what does the committee do? Do we need them for LOR or anything else?

Members don't see this ad.

Not all schools have a premed committee. Basically a pre-med committee will comprise a "committee letter" for you. This will usually satisfy all of your LOR requirements at schools, so you will not have to send in 5 different letters.

Not all schools even have a premed program. So, NO.

And even the ones that have a premed program, not all of the have premed committees.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not all schools have a premed committee. Basically a pre-med committee will comprise a "committee letter" for you. This will usually satisfy all of your LOR requirements at schools, so you will not have to send in 5 different letters.

so they would send in one letter and this represents all my LOR from my university? what if the committee doesn't know me? How can they write me a letter? or do they just get them from my professors, that I choose? I really am confused and unknowledgeable about this whole process. :(

so they would send in one letter and this represents all my LOR from my university? what if the committee doesn't know me? How can they write me a letter? or do they just get them from my professors, that I choose? I really am confused and unknowledgeable about this whole process. :(

It works a bit differently at every school, but the basic output is the same. A group of professors/advisors collaborate and write one comprehensive letter. At some schools this involves taking snippets of individual letters, some schools you're interviewed by a committee of professors.

From a logistical standpoint, it's MUCH better for you to have a committee. You'll know what I mean secondaries time. This is coming from someone who has to send in individual letters.

I don't know that I agree that it's necessarily better to have a committee... I was grateful that I didn't when I heard the stories about people having to wait weeks to months for their meetings or composite letters. I appreciated having as much control as possible over the process. But maybe that's just me. If the committee works well, I can see it being a good thing.