luckyoceania

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2008
Status
Psychology Student
silly question perhaps, but I just don't know. Do I need to spell out what it is if I mention it in writing? (By 'americans', I refer to your typical grad student or prof.)

TIA!

thewesternsky

10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2007
Status
Post Doc
silly question perhaps, but I just don't know. Do I need to spell out what it is if I mention it in writing? (By 'americans', I refer to your typical grad student or prof.)

TIA!
Spell it out. Even if they know the agency, they won't know details about the awards like we do here. :)

JockNerd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2007
Status
Psychology Student
Maybe not, I thought SSHRC (Canadian awards) were not transferable to the U.S.
They definitely are.

BUT! Take a look at the SSHRC and CIHR funding priorities! SSHRC says it does not fund anything anymore that might be better covered by CIHR--this includes almost anything related to health in any way. If you do that kind of work you should apply to CIHR, not SSHRC now. I wasted last year's application cycle on a SSHRC award. :( SSHRC is funding more work in humanities and international relations studies now.

JockNerd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2007
Status
Psychology Student
Oh, and, not only are CIHR fellowships extended to Canadians in the US, but you actually get a $5000 *bonus* if you're studying outside Canada.

JockNerd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2007
Status
Psychology Student
Speaking of this, anyone know when the CIHR fellowships are announced? I'm waiting with bated breath. I thought I found it on the CIHR web site a few months ago but now can't find it again.