Do amount of credit hours matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frodo25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It will be my senior year and I have finished most of my science pre-reqs already. Would it matter if I only took 12 credits worth of classes, mostly non-science? I also will be doing 3 credits of research as well. I'm probably being too neurotic, but I just wanted to ask

Members don't see this ad.

Consider doing a post-bac or SMP to demonstrate the ability to handle a heavy science course load and you should be okay OP. You could also consider Caribbean?

Ignore that first response.

It really depends on what you've taken. Have you taken hard upper level science classes up till now and you just don't have much left? Then your fine.
Did you just take the pre-reqs and then stop? Then you're not proving you can handle the medical school curriculum.

It's always better to have extra science classes VS the bare minimum.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will be my senior year and I have finished most of my science pre-reqs already. Would it matter if I only took 12 credits worth of classes, mostly non-science? I also will be doing 3 credits of research as well. I'm probably being too neurotic, but I just wanted to ask

It will make zero difference assuming that you have average scores and have fulfilled all the pre-reqs. If you have marginal scores, it would be helpful to have a strong showing in your last few semesters, but otherwise, it will make zero impact to take a lighter load.

Won't matter, just do well.

Ignore that first response.

It really depends on what you've taken. Have you taken hard upper level science classes up till now and you just don't have much left? Then your fine.
Did you just take the pre-reqs and then stop? Then you're not proving you can handle the medical school curriculum.

It's always better to have extra science classes VS the bare minimum.
I have taken almost exclusively science up till now and have done well. The remaining science classes that are offered don't really interest me and I need to do non-science to graduate.

I have taken almost exclusively science up till now and have done well. The remaining science classes that are offered don't really interest me and I need to do non-science to graduate.
You'll be fine. Take some fun classes and enjoy your last year of college.

If you feel fine about your GPA this is a non issue. If you don't think your GPA is great this wouldn't be the smartest move.

I don't think it matters. Like, if I were in your position, I'd be thinking "Wow, easy semester, nice. Let's party." Good luck.

I don't think it matters. Like, if I were in your position, I'd be thinking "Wow, easy semester, nice. Let's party." Good luck.
I mean this is what I want to think, but theres always that thought that I am not doing enough.

I mean this is what I want to think, but theres always that thought that I am not doing enough.

I think that using your free time to pursue a new EC, or volunteer would be much more fruitful to your application than adding in another course.

I think that using your free time to pursue a new EC, or volunteer would be much more fruitful to your application than adding in another course.
I will most definitely increase my volunteering, I'm not the type of person that will just sit in my room and play video games with my extra free time.

I will most definitely increase my volunteering, I'm not the type of person that will just sit in my room and play video games with my extra free time.

Great! Good luck!