Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

DO and Emergency Medicine

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Sheon, Mar 4, 1999.

1. Sheon

Sheon Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and to the review of DO schools. I am kind of curious about how Emergency Medicine residencies rate on competitiveness for DO's.

Does anyone have any insight they would like to offer.

2. edgar

edgar Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Sheon,

Emergency medicine seems to be a niche for DOs. One of my interviewers at COMP (in California) spoke of a student of his who is a resident at Yale Medical School in EM. From what I've heard, DOs can hold their own in this very competitive specialty.

EDGAR

3. Kansai

Kansai Member
    10+ Year Member

Sheon,

What Edgar has said seems to be true. I have an interest in Emergency Med, so I have looked at a number of residency programs on the internet. The majority of allopathic programs I have looked at either have D.O. faculty members and/or current D.O. residents. We seem to be well represented in this specialty. In addition to Yale, there is currently a 3rd year D.O. resident (UHS grad) in Johns Hopkins' EM program. I'd say we're holding our own!

Stef

4. epilido

epilido Member
    10+ Year Member

Apparently the chief of emergency medicine at Cook County in Chicago is a DO.

5. justwannabadoc

justwannabadoc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I just looked at Cook County's web site. No DO's found in the emergency dept. Then again, it was faculty, not staff. Maybe it's just out of date. Just a note.