DO and Emergency Medicine

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Sheon, Mar 4, 1999.

1. Sheon

Sheon Senior Member

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and to the review of DO schools. I am kind of curious about how Emergency Medicine residencies rate on competitiveness for DO's.

Does anyone have any insight they would like to offer.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. edgar

edgar Senior Member

Sheon,

Emergency medicine seems to be a niche for DOs. One of my interviewers at COMP (in California) spoke of a student of his who is a resident at Yale Medical School in EM. From what I've heard, DOs can hold their own in this very competitive specialty.

EDGAR

4. Kansai

Kansai Member

Sheon,

What Edgar has said seems to be true. I have an interest in Emergency Med, so I have looked at a number of residency programs on the internet. The majority of allopathic programs I have looked at either have D.O. faculty members and/or current D.O. residents. We seem to be well represented in this specialty. In addition to Yale, there is currently a 3rd year D.O. resident (UHS grad) in Johns Hopkins' EM program. I'd say we're holding our own!

Stef

5. epilido

epilido Member

Apparently the chief of emergency medicine at Cook County in Chicago is a DO.

6. justwannabadoc

justwannabadoc Senior Member

I just looked at Cook County's web site. No DO's found in the emergency dept. Then again, it was faculty, not staff. Maybe it's just out of date. Just a note.