DO and interested in academic medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thorloco

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a DO matriculant this year and I am basically wondering what physician-scientists on in this forum would expect from an applicant to a research heavy residency as far as research goes. Is it fairly important to have a consistent publication record on a single, longitudinal line of studies (eg same PI, same lab)? Does substantial networking and collaboration play the same sort of role it plays with graduate students?

I appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the specialty. For a research-track residency in my specialty, you're essentially required to have a PhD or the equivalent amount of research (several years of dedicated lab experience and multiple publications). That would be on top of a strong clinical application (around average step 1 for the specialty or better and good clinical performance or better). Networking and collaboration can't hurt. Always best for the research to have been done in the specialty or in a very applicable area.

Wow, I was unaware. So to generalize, in what specialties can you not do research at a PI level without a PhD?

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't necessarily need a PhD to be a PI - there are plenty of MD-only physician scientists. I know a few that did their training in IM, thoracic surgery, radiation oncology, and ophthalmology. The only thing one needs is extensive research experience which can come from med school + research intensive residency and/or postdoc.

You don't necessarily need a PhD to be a PI - there are plenty of MD-only physician scientists. I know a few that did their training in IM, thoracic surgery, radiation oncology, and ophthalmology. The only thing one needs is extensive research experience which can come from med school + research intensive residency and/or postdoc.

fellowship as well

Reactions: 1 user
What is necessary to get into a research intensive residency (particularly from a DO perspective)? I'm gathering that you need a PhD in some specialties (although I'm not sure which those are; I've never heard this before), but in others, what exactly would you look for? A consistently productive record? Is it reasonable to expect to publish consistently while in school?

I know people can get funded for a pre-M2 summer project, but is that really long enough get a publication?

I don't know all the avenues people have taken but I know some people do a research year - either during med school or right afterwards (before residency)