DO and socal university based residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dyingduck

Nude Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are large university-based IM or EM residency programs in Southern California (i.e. UCI/~UCLA/etc.) friendly toward DO medical student apps?

In other words, is it even possible? Or, Are there bias?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, possible, but usually SoCal programs are more friendly for DO's applying to IM programs than they are for EM programs. All depends on you and how competitive your application is. Good luck!

UCI is very DO friendly, considering it used to be a DO school in the past. I have a few friends there who are MD residents right now, and they say there are a good number of DO's in other residency slots. I know of one or two for sure in the anesthesia residency program.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCI is very DO friendly, considering it used to be a DO school in the past. I have a few friends there who are MD residents right now, and they say there are a good number of DO's in other residency slots. I know of one or two for sure in the anesthesia residency program.

I have a good friend that is a UCI resident and (also from other med students) have heard that UCI is pretty unfriendly to DO's actually.

I have a good friend that is a UCI resident and (also from other med students) have heard that UCI is pretty unfriendly to DO's actually.

Is this IM/Primary Care residency specifically?

Also, does anyone know anything about UCLA IM Residency Program and DO?

Yes, possible, but usually SoCal programs are more friendly for DO's applying to IM programs than they are for EM programs. All depends on you and how competitive your application is. Good luck!

Thanks. I am leaning toward IM/primary care track than EM.

Hi

In regards to UCLA, for a DO, whether it is the categorical or primary care track, I think your chances are slim to none. There has not been one in the recent years, and remember that UCLA IM likes AOA-caliber candidates. That being said, worth a shot, especially if you can get an audition rotation.

Other University based socal programs include UCI (sorta DO friendly, see above - although I have heard this changes year to year), Loma Linda and USC. If you have questions regarding these or others, let me know

I echo these sentiments. Theres already enough qualified MDs vying for these spots that they really have no reason to take a DO. So Cal is too popular.

Thanks, everyone. These observations are helpful.

I can see that UC's residency programs (IM) are not friendly to D.O.
-
But, is it even possible to get accepted as DO (if your app is stellar)?

I would say that it is a possibility, depending on the program:

UCLA - Nearly Impossible
UCSD - Very Difficult. Have not have a DO over the past years that I know of. I interviewed there as a DO and they told me that I was the only one that year...
UCI - Possiblity. have taken DOs. Ive heard mixed things how they are viewed there. A classmate of mine went there and did very well!

Other University programs in so cal (Loma Linda and USC) are DO friendly, but depends on the year and the overall applicant pool

Apply. It's worth a shot. Remember, some require USMLEs. Audition rotations can help!

I have a family member at Ronald Reagan (UCLA) who told me that the problem is not as much as the degree per se, since they do employ DOs as physicians. The decision making process for residency in the UC med schools is very similar to their other academic departments. They prefer applicants from institutions of similar or higher stature. It's a bit incestuous, and you end up seeing mostly UCD/UCSF/UCSD/UCI/UCLA plus USC/Stanford/Washington/Michigan/East Coast top tier. MDs from "lesser" schools suffer the same fate as DOs when it comes to residency.

If you look at some of the prior rosters, they are not all from top-tier schools, but coming from a top-tier school or getting AOA helps. There are plenty at UCLA from mid-tier (arguably some lower tier) medical schools, which I am sure matched their because of ties to LA/UCLA, or great application profiles. I'm afraid the same fate won't be true for most DO applicants there. It takes one great applicant to break that trend and change their mind!