1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

DO and Surgery

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by spyyder31, Apr 24, 2001.

1. spyyder31

spyyder31 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Are there any Osteopathic programs out there that give any extra emphasis on going into surgery? From what I gather, osteopathic programs seem to focus pretty extensively on primary care. This is great! Because as of right now, I would love to see myself as a family prac. But what if I change my mind sometime during my medical training? Being in a DO program that targets primary care wouldn't hurt me...would it??
    I'm going to the Osteopathic Medicine Awareness Conference at COMP this weekend, and I'm sure that I will get some invaluable info on this topic there. I was just curious to hear what you guys/gals think.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Spyder - No need to post your question on multiple forums. Most of us read all of them (and have answered your query where posted elsewhere). [​IMG]

4. David511

David511 Ponch's Illegitimate Son
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Spyder,

While I'm not familiar with any specific schools with programs that emphasize surgery, if you're interested in doing something outside of the GP specialties (FP, Internal Med, Peds, OB/GYN), when choosing schools to apply to I suggest you look at the types of residencies students from those schools typically match to. Most schools publish data about what their students do after graduation...if you are interested in keeping your options open, apply to schools that have a more-diverse match list.

Good luck to you.

------------------
    -d
    PCOM Class of 2005