1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

DO and take year off or SGU and Start Jan 2012?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by FuturePharm21, Jul 31, 2011.

1. FuturePharm21

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hello, I know this question has been asked before but my situation is different so I'm asking anyways....

I took the MCAT twice before and am taking it again later this month and still get low to mid 20's on my scores...

I know getting into DO school the average has become 27 and MD is probably 30-32 nowadays, and I'm starting to consider SGU or Ross as they have proven results and match rates don't lie. The match lists seem like everyone gets a residency and I don't know why it's frowned upon if you receive your medical education in the caribbean???

Because honestly, I have a good work ethic and GPA but my standardized testing abilities are not well. Thus, I can take another year off and study and improve MCAT and get into SGU since talking to them, I'm pretty sure I will be accepted right away.

Any advice, input, or if you are a SGU student, please share your wisdom.

I know going to a caribbean medical school was not my goal, but sometimes life throw's you curve balls and you got to adapt to them and be open-minded to other paths.

Also, my GPA is 3.3 science and 3.6 cumulative and I have a bachelor's in Biology with minor in chemistry and low MCAT.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. thomasfx10

thomasfx10 Medical Student
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm in the same shoes. Apply broadly to all DO's. Apply to the Big 3 Caribs and look to enter in the summer if you do not hear back from DO schools. My biggest fear is starting in Jan at a Carib and then finding out that I got accepted at a DO. I would of course take the DO over Carib just due to more residency options. It would be an expensive mistake paying for a semester at a Carib school in addition to getting accepted at a DO.

If you are like me you just want to become a doctor. Who cares if you have a DO or MD behind your name

4. Drrrrrr. Celty

Drrrrrr. Celty Osteo Dullahan
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You should retake the mcat, this time after doing the 90 day SDN method and if you don't break a high 20 then you should reconsider medicine and consider a different career, because statistically you've got a low chance of passing the USMLE and graduating from a Carib MD.

However in other news, you do have a chance of getting accepted to a DO school. VCOM has an average mcat of 24, Pikesvile is 23, and a few others are pretty low as well.

#3 Drrrrrr. Celty, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  5. Mbeas

Mbeas Hi I'm Kate
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    SGU is a fine choice depending on what area of medicine you are looking to enter. Although, if you choose a different area that is considered competitive during med school, you may be screwed.

As for the bolded statement: this isn't much of an excuse. If you are scoring that low on your practice tests (which tests are you using, btw?), then there is a lack of basic principles and knowledge. You need more content review. Trust me, I used to think the same thing about myself. I was scoring 22's (on Kaplan exams), so I decided to study about 4 solid months with content review and practice. Results: I just took AAMC 10 yesterday (considered one of the harder exams) and scored a 37...yes, it can be done. (I haven't taken the real thing yet, so take that with a grain of salt.)

Also, as future physicians, we will have many more standarized tests to endure. Don't start making excuses this early in the game.

#4 Mbeas, Jul 31, 2011
  6. UBCvan

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    maybe you haven't done your homework then.

Anyhow, I'd like to give you a piece of advise. going to sgu in Jan, doesn't mean you will start your residency 6 months earlier than going to DO or SGU in the next fall. Because residencies only start in fall, so if you go SGU in Jan, that means you will have to wait an extra 6 months. the only positive thing is that you have 6 extra months to study for your exams.

7. drctother

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yaa you need to do more research. check the DO Vs Caribbean thread on here. THERE is proven stats that DO >> SGU or Ross. Those stats are over the past few years. Its only going to get worse for Caribbean students as US MD and DO schools open. Why?

# Residency spots will not be able to increase fast enough to compensate for the extra US MD/DO graduates. Thus more med school graduates (US MD, US DO, and Caribbean) competing. Who is going to get priority? You best bet your ass the US MD/DO students will

8. UBCvan

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    something I don't understand is why open up med schools and not increase residency spots? isn't the whole point of opening new med schools to increase the number of docs in the country?

9. JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well, if I understand correctly, there are enough residency spots open for current and future graduates. A lot of those spots are primary care spots. New med schools opening up will probably just "push" more people into primary care.

10. Drrrrrr. Celty

Drrrrrr. Celty Osteo Dullahan
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Increasing the amount of students = higher competition = more US graduates in primary care residencies.

11. jinobi

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sure, but residency positions don't increase at the same rate as medical schools have been expanding. Medicare GME funding is the main cause of this disparity, as far as I understand it. (Look, I'm just an incoming MS-I. My info may be wildly off.)

This article has some great pieces of information on the looming physician shortage: http://www.remappingdebate.org/article/warnings-doctor-shortage-go-unheeded.

As for the OP: I would pay attention to the below statement on page 2 of the above article.
    "If the number of U.S. medical school graduates increased, but the [Medicare residency position] cap were left in place, graduates of U.S. medical schools, who have preference for residency slots, would replace graduates of foreign schools, but that would have no net impact on total physician supply."

#10 jinobi, Jul 31, 2011
  12. DocEspana

DocEspana Bullish
    Physician 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yea. Residency is funded by medicare. You know. That thing that republicans are always trying to cut (not ripping on them to rip on them, its just amusing that they rip apart medical education funding almost preferentially in their medicare cuts, but then docs become overwhelmingly republicans). Since everyone and their mother wants medicare and social security paired down, they will never be able to raise spots more than a few people trained per year. But multiple schools of 100+ students each open each year. Competition will go way up and it wont be good for non-US trained individuals.

As for my advice? Abandon medicine. If you cant get the grades after multiple truly focused attempts, you wont cut it. Gonna come down hard here. I could be more gentle about it, but someone has to be tough. Going to a carib school is a massive gamble if you're a below average student. Despite what they tell you, the actual match rate is 68% over at SGU. (72% at Ross) if you simply measure how many US citizens go in each year and how many get a residency in less than 5 years. That means the bottom 40% dont get a residency. Generally speaking, the students who succeed from SGU/Ross could have done DO as well, just chose differently. The ones who cant get DO, likely will be the lost 40% in the carib.

13. Postal

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    you might as well wait and take that year off to study for MCATS if the above is true. Give yourself options.....