Do any dental students here bike to school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Incis0r

I LOVE Dental School
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard of people doing this - Does anyone here do something similar?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I live about 4 miles from school and have done it on nice days where I'll be sitting in lecture all day. I prefer to drive on clinic days to avoid going to clinic sweaty and hair a mess though. Panniers are good, a handlebar bag is another option that is probably big enough to slip a lunch into. If you're more devoted to it and plan to ride even on rainy days, having a fenders on your bike is a must -- the ones that hug the tires do a really good job of minimizing road spray and keeping your pants/back fairly dry.

Reactions: 1 user
How long does it take you to do 4 miles?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How long does it take you to do 4 miles?

Do you have any panniers you recommend? I want something that is easy to carry into the school and store in a locker.

I ride pretty quickly and can usually do it door to door a little over 15 minutes (~15 mph). Driving can take anywhere from 10-20 depending on traffic, so biking is actually a more predictable commute time because you can go on smaller city roads and avoid traffic lights. I don't have any particular pannier recommendations (I just put a lunch and my laptop in a backpack), but I know there are some out there that are really easy to detach and bring into school with you so they don't sit on your bike all day. That's what I'd look for if I were in the market.

Speaking of biking to school, I saw these on a bike locked up outside and I thought it was a pretty cool concept. Never seen them before!
upload_2017-1-24_19-41-16.png

You might look into if your school has lockers. I know that some do and this was one of my concerns as I wish to bike to class daily also.. You can store some things in lockers (loupes, laptop, etc) for class. Alternatively, a good pannier as you said (try checking out reddit.com/r/bicycling for good suggestions of brands and stuff) can be helpful for carrying stuff to school.

You might look into if your school has lockers. I know that some do and this was one of my concerns as I wish to bike to class daily also.. You can store some things in lockers (loupes, laptop, etc) for class. Alternatively, a good pannier as you said (try checking out reddit.com/r/bicycling for good suggestions of brands and stuff) can be helpful for carrying stuff to school.

Great recommendations.

Last edited:
I ride pretty quickly and can usually do it door to door a little over 15 minutes (~15 mph). Driving can take anywhere from 10-20 depending on traffic, so biking is actually a more predictable commute time because you can go on smaller city roads and avoid traffic lights. I don't have any particular pannier recommendations (I just put a lunch and my laptop in a backpack), but I know there are some out there that are really easy to detach and bring into school with you so they don't sit on your bike all day. That's what I'd look for if I were in the market.

Speaking of biking to school, I saw these on a bike locked up outside and I thought it was a pretty cool concept. Never seen them before!View attachment 213834

Thank you for the recommendation - I didn't even think of that but it's a great idea.

Last edited:
Depending on the area I'd say def get 2 u-locks too unless you have a quick release tire/saddle/bars. I know I'll just use 2 personally. Loupes can sit comfortably in most panniers/backpacks as long as you have a nice case for them so they dont get damaged (1k+ is worth getting a decent hard case for phone/tablet/laptops commuting) in case of an emergency fall or whatever. I'll personally likely just use a backpack that I put on a bike fender and keep an extra pair of scrubs/clothes or 2 in my locker to change into when I get to the school so I dont feel sweaty or gross (I sweat a lot). You could just buy a magnifying glass for waxing at home if you want magnification really bad. A stand-style one shouldnt be too spendy, such as something like this from amazon: http://a.co/9dKomfB. This is only 1.75x mag but I'm sure there are other options, this is just the first that I google'd

I have been fortunate to live in smaller college towns where pretty much any basic lock can keep a thief at bay. However, as I will be moving to a larger urban area I've been told to get a $50-$100 commuter and a ~$100 lock. What all do you guys/gals use in terms of a bike? how about bike storage at one's dental school?

I have been fortunate to live in smaller college towns where pretty much any basic lock can keep a thief at bay. However, as I will be moving to a larger urban area I've been told to get a $50-$100 commuter and a ~$100 lock. What all do you guys/gals use in terms of a bike? how about bike storage at one's dental school?
I went to school in an urban area that was kind of sketchy and I had no problem locking it up with a basic $20 u-lock. Your bike will be locked on a campus with people everywhere and probably even campus police of some sort. You don't need a fancy lock, unless your bike is super fancy.

Tip for all of you who are new to biking in an urban setting: buy a lot of extra tire tubes, lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Tip for locking your bike: Don't just lock the tire.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
City streets are like the streets of Baghdad, you'll be popping tubes left and right.

Jeez I've never heard of this happening before, and I grew up in an urban area. I've never even heard of replacement tire tubes.

Jeez I've never heard of this happening before, and I grew up in an urban area. I've never even heard of replacement tire tubes.
Well I ride a road bike, so the tires are not as tough and my inner tube pops from time to time.

And my personal anecdote is regarding North Philadelphia... so those streets are probably worse than your typical city streets.

Special note re. Loupes: I was thinking of storing loupes in the school locker, but several people advised me to take them home along with waxing stuff and work on projects at home. Maybe I'll just stay after at school, finish work, and then go home?
You have to be kidding me if people need loupes to do wax ups...

Reactions: 1 users
What all do you guys/gals use in terms of a bike?
I've been using a Specialized Sirrus Base on my four mile commute to work. Holds up well on rougher pavement. You can do four miles in 20 minutes if you want to go at a more casual pace and not be sweaty for class.
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/utility/sirrus/106252

I can't wait to go all out with my cycling hobby once my signing bonus comes through...
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/men/bikes/road/performance/allez-e5-elite/115475

Anything.
Dude! Downpayment on a 2/2 and rent out the other room and they'll pay for your mortgage (free housing pretty much for you), you'll buy an apartment for 20k pretty much, and when you graduate rent both rooms, cash flow from the other rent.

Man i should rethink this scholarship deal

Dude! Downpayment on a 2/2 and rent out the other room and they'll pay for your mortgage (free housing pretty much for you), you'll buy an apartment for 20k pretty much, and when you graduate rent both rooms, cash flow from the other rent.

Man i should rethink this scholarship deal

Talk about creativity ahaha. With that kind of thinking, you'll be golden even without the scholarship.

Talk about creativity ahaha. With that kind of thinking, you'll be golden even without the scholarship.
Haha i wish i could buy, too bad banks wont give a mortgage unless you have 6 month income, and they dont consider government loans (even though i can take out as much as i want pretty much) as income to prove ill be able to pay a mortgage if i buy, eventhough the mortgage might actually be cheaper than the rent...

I have biked 4mi to school in undergrad. I plan on continuing but hoping for between 2-3 miles.
I have used a Timbuktu messenger bag that I am planning to use or my dad's leather messenger bag from when he went to dental school if I can fit everything in it.
What all do you need to cart to and from school every day? I don't plan on waxing at home.