1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Do any of you all suffer with psoriasis?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by foroneaudience, May 7, 2007.

1. foroneaudience

foroneaudience Foroneaudience
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I am curious if any of you all suffer with psoriasis.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. piyi

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I get these rash-like things on my legs that may be psoriasis, but I don't know because I don't have the money to get it checked out (one of the things I plan to do after pharmacy school). I've always had very sensitive skin and have been afflicted by many skin rashes as a child. Although that has for the most part decreased as I enter middle age, that thing on my leg still comes around. My dad has and grandma (on his side of the family) had psoriasis, so it is very likely that I will too and that the condition will worsen as I grow older.

4. foroneaudience

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I've had very mild psoriasis since I was 16, but it's gotten a lot worse from the stress of school. But anyway, the reason for posting in this forum is because I am wondering about some new treatments out on the market, like enbrel and whether anybody has tried it and what they thought.

5. rayn84

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    One thing that I believe helped to clear up my psoriasis was cutting out all caffeine. I had it from an early age until I quit consuming caffeine and then it cleared up completely.

6. omnione

omnione SDN Pharmoderator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I don't have psorasis, but I do suffer from bouts of eczema in my elbow and knee joints as well as my face sometimes. It was bad as a kid no matter what, but now it comes and goes.

7. penguins429

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    this is probably something you should be talking to your dermatologist about ...
    but, I deal with a lot of Enbrel/Humira/Raptiva, etc in my pharmacy on a daily basis -- and its not something that will be easily covered through your insurance plan unless you've tried pretty much every other option ...

8. foroneaudience

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I am talking to my doctor about it and he doesn't prescribe anything but topicals. I guess I need to look into getting a second opinion. I just wanted to see if anyone else has this and what works for them.

9. Lurkerkat

Lurkerkat Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I want to say the biologics like Enbrel are used to treat psoriac arthritis but I don't know if they're approved for the other side effects of psoriasis. I'm currently on Remicade for ankylosing spondylitis and they aren't medications to be taken lightly. I had to sign a few forms acknowledging that I may die of lymphoma, infection, TB, etc before I received my first infusion. Eh, it was either Remicade or tear up my gut on NSAIDs and still be in pain. Remicade works great for my arthritis. My CRP and SED rate has been normal and I haven't had any significant pain for two years.

My insurance company loves trying to figure ways to drop my coverage or find excuses to not cover Remicade. You need to have a doctor who's willing to file appeal after appeal to ensure coverage.

10. CrazyFox

CrazyFox Ex-Pre-Pharmie
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi!!
    You know I have seborreah and my grandma has proroasis. She and I have been like at three doctors and they all prescribed topicals and some usuall non prescription shampoos for head area (tGel,Nizoral etc). I don't know if it helped you or not.But this is how it worked for us.

11. cycloketocaine

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    The problem with Remicade......the more you use it, the less effective it becomes. It only took 6 months of infusion for it to become completely ineffective on me. It also gave me seizure like symptoms and asthma. I like my mercaptopurine better.

12. DrugDealer

DrugDealer Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I would think someone from Kentucky would know it's y'all, not you all. :)

13. Lurkerkat

Lurkerkat Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I've been very lucky with it. I've been on it nearly two years and it's been working great with minimum side affects. Did you supplement Remicade with methotrexate? I use that to help prevent my immune system from forming antibodies against Remicade's proteins.

That's the fun thing about these meds, for some people they work well, others they can cause drug induced lupus, neuropathy, and other such fun. Good to hear that you found something that worked for you!

14. beatyneils

There are very good treatment for psoriasis.
    You see, different people suffer from different degrees of psoriasis. There are even different types of psoriasis, and many people don't know this. Everyone responds differently to each treatment too, so sometimes a psoriasis treatment will work well for one person, yet not seem to make any difference for another.
    PsoriAWAY is the medicine is used for psoriasis to my Friend,it results good treatment.

15. Sam steven

Apple cider does wonder and is really very helpful in this case.