Do any of you guys know the answer to this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MattVike12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since everyone on the pre-osteopathic board either didn't know or knew but didn't care to answer, I'll go ahead and post this here. I have heard two things about the AACOMAS application that will help me out a lot and I was wondering if they were true. First, I heard that Math courses do NOT count toward your science GPA. I have also heard that if you retake a class and get a better grade than the old one, only the new grade counts and the old one does not. If any of you could shed some light on this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i had a friend retake a class, and i believe (almost positive) that he had to list both somewhere, but only the better grade counted in the actual calculation of the science GPA. i can double check with him and let you know.

i can't remember if math counted or not. but i do know you can call up or email the ACCOMAS people. they're usually good about anwering questions.

although you didn't ask this question, i'm going to give you some advice. Only take the class over if you absolutely have to-- as in, the school you're applying to refuses to take grades below a C, for example, and you got a C- (although i do know someone who managed to wheedle his way around that one). with all the credits a premed student accumulates, retaking one class usually doesn't completely alter your GPA, but it can make your senior year schedule absolutely miserable. whatever it is, it probably won't make or break your ability to get an interview, and if you can explain your low grade in a logical manner and show later successes, i bet you won't have any problems. trust me, i had some pretty freakin low grades. b]

Members don't see this ad :)
the math courses do not count toward your science GPA . only AMCAS counts math courses towards science GPA. hope that helps. later

Sweet! Thanks for everybody's replies. I need all the help I can get with my science GPA calculation! :mad: