Deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SubclavianSteel

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have many visible tattoos, most the result of my time in Compton's "finer establishments".

I am in a liberal city and have a PD and chair that don't care at all.

I hid my tattoos thru all of med school so I would be judged on my actual abilities and scores rather than some preconceived notion of what a good future physician looks like.

I like my tattoos. Many people like them. Lots of people have them now: Pts, RNs, more MDs than u would think (age independent now!)

I can tell when someone is judging me on them instead of my performance, though, occasionally and that is annoying.

I hide them from Pts. Occasionally they see them peeking out of my sleeves. Sometimes, I use them to improve the therapeutic relationship if I think they would like them (this works well with younger pts, prisoners, antisocial types).

Although i would prefer to not wear long sleeves when I am hot, I think that it is the right thing for the appropriate "premedication" and development of the therapeutic relationship.

I think many pts (but not all!) appreciate that you have them and are more like them in a sense...

All said, I would NOT get visible tattoos if I had none now. I would cover my chest and back but leave the sleeves.

I have attendings that have hidden tattoos and they can enjoy them and not worry about the consequences.

This is a topic that I would discuss by PM with those to whom it applies.

Since I have "outed myself" to the forum, what do the Rok stars think about my chances of fitting in the PP world? Doomed to LT, uber liberal towns? Noy will you hire me so I can back country surf with you?

My chair will even "show off" my tattoos to future applicants so he is very comfortable with them. I think my PD knew about them before I matched.

Where your hospital is and who the patients are will really matter. I think the bigger, more liberal cities and the farther west the better?

I have many visible tattoos, most the result of my time in Compton's "finer establishments".

I hid my tattoos thru all of med school so I would be judged on my actual abilities and scores rather than some preconceived notion of what a good future physician looks like.

I like my tattoos. Many people like them. Lots of people have them now: Pts, RNs, more MDs than u would think (age independent now!)

I can tell when someone is judging me on them instead of my performance, though, occasionally and that is annoying.

I hide them from Pts. Occasionally they see them peeking out of my sleeves. Sometimes, I use them to improve the therapeutic relationship if I think they would like them (this works well with younger pts, prisoners, antisocial types).

Although i would prefer to not wear long sleeves when I am hot, I think that it is the right thing for the appropriate "premedication" and development of the therapeutic relationship.

I think many pts (but not all!) appreciate that you have them and are more like them in a sense...

All said, I would NOT get visible tattoos if I had none now. I would cover my chest and back but leave the sleeves.

I have attendings that have hidden tattoos and they can enjoy them and not worry about the consequences.

Since I have "outed myself" to the forum, what do the Rok stars think about my chances of fitting in the PP world? Doomed to LT, uber liberal towns? Noy will you hire me so I can back country surf with you?

Members don't see this ad :)
got a tattoo on my lower back eight years ago. the tattoo is cool. now i wish i had picked a different location for it. i don't show it off anymore.

Thinking about getting inked but scared of the future consequences of having a visible mark. Do any of you have tattoos? What and where? For the PD and attendings, what do you think of an applicant with tattoos?

More likely to hurt than help. How visible is visible?

A female applicant having a tramp stamp is probably less of a problem than a male applicant having facial tribal tats.. :idea:

More likely to hurt than help. How visible is visible?

A female applicant having a tramp stamp is probably less of a problem than a male applicant having facial tribal tats.. :idea:

So what you are saying is

Bad Idea

curtis.jpg

Good Idea:

http://www.logogolfwear.com/embroideryclipart/Heart%20with%20Mom%20tattoo.Hdmc6.jpg

Is it a TRAMP STAMP??:laugh:

ouch!!! since i heard people referring to a tattoo at that location as that i regret having gotten that tattoo. the design is unique but that does not help. back then i liked the idea of having a tattoo on my lower back because it is easy to cover up. :(

This was my residency app photo. If you look closely, you can see that maybe I should've done some photoshopping. I mean, that forehead acne is enough to make any PD say "NEXT!"

200611131458-pix1.jpg

ouch!!! since i heard people referring to a tattoo at that location as that i regret having gotten that tattoo. the design is unique but that does not help. back then i liked the idea of having a tattoo on my lower back because it is easy to cover up. :(

You can have it removed to the point where it is almost impossible to see it.

For just under three large.

Tattoo regret is making some dermatologists very rich.

I actually have empathy for you.

Back when you got it it was very chic.

NOW, (no lie....true story)....

one of our obstetricians caters to the medicaid crowd.....which includes the trailer park caucasian crowd.....you know, where the husband has on a gold chain, a pretty watch, cool baggy jeans and oversized Nike T shirt, $175 sneakers, Tommy Hilfiger baseball cap worn low and turned right forty degrees with top of ears tucked in, waxed eyebrows, and brandishing a video camera nicer than mine,

BUT SLIM CAN'T AFFORD HEALTH INSURANCE

the incidence of tramp stamps in these patients, during a one week study done by a colleague of mine and I, exceeded ALL THE OTHER OBSTETRICIAN'S PATIENTS COMBINED.

and p=.0000002 for this study. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
one of our obstetricians caters to the medicaid crowd.....which includes the trailer park caucasian crowd.....

the incidence of tramp stamps in these patients, during a one week study done by a colleague of mine and I, exceeded ALL THE OTHER OBSTETRICIAN'S PATIENTS COMBINED.

that is the truth for every OB medicaid rotation of which I have had the duty of delivering n=4.

That crowd also has the tendency to have tattoo names of other men besides the soon to be born babies father. I made the mistake twice of calling the babies father by that name after that I learned to ask the name irregardless of the name tattooed on the delivering mother.

This was my residency app photo. If you look closely, you can see that maybe I should've done some photoshopping. I mean, that forehead acne is enough to make any PD say "NEXT!"

200611131458-pix1.jpg

Dude, that is unfrikkin believable.

And to top it all off Genius has a roach on his neck.

Hey Dre,

Can you post a pic of some of your ink?

I have a small one (blue-green spiral) on the back of my neck. You can see it when my hair is up, although my OR cap hangs down over it unless I'm looking down. Some people have noticed, hasn't seemed to be an issue.

As "residue" from my previous life, I have a pathfinder badge on my right deltoid with a horizontal Gerber MkII dripping blood below it. Long story, but it is one of only three in existence. :laugh:

Fortunately, it is easily covered by everyday wear.

Back when you got it it was very chic.

NOW, (no lie....true story)....

one of our obstetricians caters to the medicaid crowd.....which includes the trailer park caucasian crowd.....you know, where the husband has on a gold chain, a pretty watch, cool baggy jeans and oversized Nike T shirt, $175 sneakers, Tommy Hilfiger baseball cap worn low and turned right forty degrees with top of ears tucked in, waxed eyebrows, and brandishing a video camera nicer than mine,

BUT SLIM CAN'T AFFORD HEALTH INSURANCE

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I don't know whether to laugh or cry...... Well, I guess I'm laughing. **** never ceases to amaze me.....

"Slims" of the world..... LOL

Guys, I've been pretending to be normal on this board for over 2 years now.

However, I think it's time to "come out", so to speak. So, without further adieu.......

HERE I AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• catman.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 320
I would but someone already beat me to it!! I have the swastika on my face. I have to admit, I have to be a damn sweet talker to get my pts relaxed before I give them the midaz.

Seriously though, I am not sure I am smart enough to post a pic. How do you post high pixil pics?

Hey Dre,

Can you post a pic of some of your ink?

Just tell em you are into ancient Tibetan customs, hence the swastika.

Its gonna be hard to explain the X-Large Brow SKINHEAD. But by that time the midaz should be kicking in.

I would but someone already beat me to it!! I have the swastika on my face. I have to admit, I have to be a damn sweet talker to get my pts relaxed before I give them the midaz.

Seriously though, I am not sure I am smart enough to post a pic. How do you post high pixil pics?

Get Google Picasa. Its free.

Put nice photos on the web album for your parents and homies to see.

Upload your tattoo pic. Post the pic id (a really long number/letter combo) in a sdn post using the little yellow mountain icon above.

Then erase your tattoo pic from your picasa if you want. :D