Do any other MS1s out there never open a book on the weekends?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many hours do you ACTUALLY study on Saturday?

• 0-2

• 2-4

• 4-6

• 6-8

• 8+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Styrene

Psychiatry Resident (PGY-4)
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hardly ever open a book on the weekend and basically just chill out and watch movies and listen to music. If I have a small group quiz on Monday, I'll study for several hours on Sunday. I study for a 4-6 hours every weekday and never go to class. I'm at around 85th-90th percentile overall, and in the top 1-2% in a a couple classes. I just scored well above average on the last cumulative test and DIDN'T OPEN A BOOK for three days preceding the test.

How come on all the threads that cover similar topics on here, people say they study for up to 10 hours per day and even more on weekends? Is that just an exaggeration? It seems absolutely ridiculous to me. I admit there are times when I might stay at the library until midnight, but that does not happen often and is only when multiple assignments overlap. I also am involved in multiple research projects, so I work on those, too, which further cuts into study time.

Does anyone else out there have a similar experience to me?

Members don't see this ad.

I hardly ever open a book on the weekend and basically just chill out and watch movies and listen to music. If I have a small group quiz on Monday, I'll study for several hours on Sunday. I study for a 4-6 hours every weekday and never go to class. I'm at around 85th-90th percentile overall, and in the top 1-2% in a a couple classes. I just scored well above average on the last cumulative test and DIDN'T OPEN A BOOK for three days preceding the test.

How come on all the threads that cover similar topics on here, people say they study for up to 10 hours per day and even more on weekends? Is that just an exaggeration? It seems absolutely ridiculous to me. I admit there are times when I might stay at the library until midnight, but that does not happen often and is only when multiple assignments overlap. I also am involved in multiple research projects, so I work on those, too, which further cuts into study time.

I usually end up studying 0 hours a week unless we have exams coming up in a few days. When it's exam week, the painful cramming begins.

Humble brag much?

Major props to you for doing so well, it's impressive. But most students have to put a lot more time in to get the results they're looking for.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Cool story bro...:rolleyes:

In all seriousness, if that works for you great. I think a lot of it depends at where you're at and how your school structures things. For me, we have about 60 lectures give and take that are fit into a month. We are basically hosed with material on weekdays so between doing that, eating, socializing a bit, working out, etc. there's really not that much time to do a solid number on the material so I used the weekends to really go through the material properly.

Reactions: 1 users
Great, you didn't have to study a ton last weekend...whoop dee doo.

Some curriculums require more studying of the minutiae. Or, maybe you aren't learning enough for the Boards. Just because you did well on your last cumulative exam doesn't mean that you've 'cracked' med school. Push yourself to learn and keep going. Don't worry about the hours put in if you feel like you are learning things thoroughly.

Because people have different brains and mental abilities? Because some people require more time to study than others? Because people have different memory capabilities? Or could simply be some people being less efficient.

Reactions: 2 users
with all that free time of yours, I wonder how many friends you have

Some curriculums require more studying of the minutiae. Or, maybe you aren't learning enough for the Boards. Just because you did well on your last cumulative exam doesn't mean that you've 'cracked' med school. Push yourself to learn and keep going. Don't worry about the hours put in if you feel like you are learning things thoroughly.
Thank you

What you're describing is just not possible in my school's curriculum. Everyone feels hosed by material. Everyone. I study less than my classmates and honor courses, but we have a lot of class time, a lot of lectures, and detail-oriented exams, so I still put in quite a bit of work 10 days before exams.
I think it might be because we are NBME-based -- that is, there is a limit to the tested minute details.

W

Why is there ALWAYS a degrading element to people's posts about this sort of thing. It's really such a toxic forum sometimes. I should have just stayed off. (Braces self for toxic, demeaning comeback.)

Reactions: 1 user
W

Why is there ALWAYS a degrading element to people's posts about this sort of thing. It's really such a toxic forum sometimes. I should have just stayed off. (Braces self for toxic, demeaning comeback.)
lol I think your post was kind of toxic, tbh. You basically just came in to brag and will end up making others (who have to study more) feel bad.

Reactions: 2 users
W

If you look at how I ended my original reply, I tried to be encouraging about your level of work. If you feel comfortable with how much you study, then don't worry about what you or other classmates are doing.

But...if you come onto a forum bragging about how you never have to study as hard as other people...it's a little gauche. Either you meant it to be braggy, or you gotta work on developing a little more tact.

Was that toxic and demeaning enough?

What does this have to do with anything, Mr. Coffee? More wit, more wit!

90% chance that the friends you text in a group chat, have another group chat where they talk **** bout ya

Im sure it depends on how your content is delivered too. Where I am we don't use a book for the most part, so everything has to be gleaned from lectures and takes forever.

Actually study? Maybe 5-6 hours a week. Extracting info from fossilized PhDs with disjointed lectures and consolidating it? ~60 hours a week. And mandatory group sessions add 2-3 more, so I usually end up just shy of 70 hours

How many hours of lecture do you guys have a week?

W

You're bragging about something weird. I'm surprised that you didn't expect these replies. Medical school is tough and your post demeans the effort many people put in. I studied all day while I was in school and I still didn't have enough time.

It's nice that you can do well without working all day but your tone comes off pretty badly.

Reactions: 5 users
W

OK snowflake, the real answer is that you're just smarter than everyone else.

Come back here in 16-24 months and brag about it if you score 250+ on your Step 1. Otherwise, empty talk, bro.

If you do a search, there have been many like you who bragged about their so called no sweat no study routine and then ended up with a mediocre Step 1. Nobody cares about your effort or no effort in preclinical years.