Jan 27, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Due to a credit limit in a specific field at my school, I am wondering if any schools require two semesters of biochemistry?

Jan 27, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
thank you for the link. Judging by that, it does not look as if any American MD school requires two semesters of Biochem.

About the Ads
Nov 27, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Most medical schools have somewhat ironically(medicine=science, no?) low requirement for the sciences, often times just two semesters of introductory stuff, I guess with the exception of gen chem and ochem.

AllDay24

Veteran Member
10+ Year Member
May 26, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Is it ok if I take biochemistry and genetics during senior year (as I apply) for the schools that require/strongly recommend them?

GooseWing

7+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2011
Sunny So Cal
Status
Medical Student
Is it ok if I take biochemistry and genetics during senior year (as I apply) for the schools that require/strongly recommend them?
Yes. I believe there's a section on AMCAS where you list planned courses if you haven't yet finished everything you need to take.
I'll have to do this for my Molec Bio.

SBR249

10+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2009
Status
MD/PhD Student
Most schools are fine if you have completed your requirements by the time you matriculate. However, a few requires that you have them completed by January of the year you plan to enroll. Weill Cornell comes to mind. In my personal experience, many schools like that (Cornell, specifically) are willing to grant exemptions to this on a case by case basis if you show that you are currently very close to completing your prerequisites.

Freigeist

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Johns Hopkins requires 4 credits of biochemistry. If your biochem is only worth 3 credits, you need multiple classes

rcheech7

EM
10+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It should also be noted (for the 2 people that it applies to) that UNM require biochemistry to be completed at the "400" level. Meaning you have to take the "biochem for majors" instead of a survey course.

Procyon

Space Cowboy
7+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2009
Autumn in Ganymede
Status
Medical Student
Most schools are fine if you have completed your requirements by the time you matriculate. However, a few requires that you have them completed by January of the year you plan to enroll. Weill Cornell comes to mind. In my personal experience, many schools like that (Cornell, specifically) are willing to grant exemptions to this on a case by case basis if you show that you are currently very close to completing your prerequisites.
Do you guys know of any other schools that do that? Because I declared my bio major late, and I have to do the bulk (four) of my upper-level bios senior year.

God Complex
10+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2008
The Slab
Status
Medical Student
Most medical schools have somewhat ironically(medicine=science, no?) low requirement for the sciences, often times just two semesters of introductory stuff, I guess with the exception of gen chem and ochem.

yeah i always wondered that... I guess they need the humanities majors to take the family medicine residencies

NewYorker9

7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2010
Buffalo
Status
Medical Student
Johns Hopkins requires 4 credits of biochemistry. If your biochem is only worth 3 credits, you need multiple classes
Would taking the lecture (3 credits) with the lab (1 credit) give you the 4 credits you need? or would you have to take two semesters of biochem? Just curious

About the Ads