Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Do any schools teach to the boards?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by MedStudentWanna, Jan 2, 2009.

1. MedStudentWanna

MedStudentWanna Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

On the MCAT forum, there's an interesting discussion about how some undergrad schools just test memorized facts for subjects like biology while other schools design tests in MCAT format with passages and application-type questions so that students are better prepared for graduate school entrance exams. It made me wonder if any med schools do similar things to kind of teach to COMLEX or USMLE?

I read on the Osteo board that UNECOM students felt the school didn't teach to the boards. Any schools that do?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. scpod

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I can't say that Lecom-B was taught to the boards, simply because we were told never to even think about the boards until your last semester of 2nd year. We were constantly told to concentrate on PBL and the boards would take care of themselves.

In retrospect, were were kind of being taught with COMLEX in mind anyway. PBL teaches you the basic sciences in a case presentation format. COMLEX tests you on the basic sciences in a case presentation format. COMLEX was really, really similar to all of our PBL exams through two years-- only easier.

As for the OMM part of the school, we WERE taught for the boards. We were told in every lecture what we needed for the boards and what we could leave out. In OMM lab,we learned the basics for 1 1/2 years, then we were told what we would need to do for step two and spent practically an entire semester practicing it. Our final practical exam in OMM had several patients coming in with a medical complaint (CHF, BPH, COPD, etc.) and we diagnosed them OMM style and treated them OMM style.

4. Cp22kjer

Cp22kjer Bottom of the Food Chain
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've seen it both ways: 1. One school is proud to be teaching for the boards and students are doing well, 2. Another school is proud to NOT be teaching for the boards and their students are doing well.

Something else to consider is 1st time board pass rates. I would not be concerned with any school that has 90%+ first time pass rates......even if they say "we don't teach for the boards".

5. MedStudentWanna

MedStudentWanna Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

So which schools are those? Also where do I find board pass rates before applying?