Do any types of pathologists besides FPs get opportunities to act as expert witnesses in court?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatSerb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know forensic pathologists do this quite often. But does anyone else ever get the chance to?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a FP but also testify fairly regularly in cases not involving forensic issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a FP but also testify fairly regularly in cases not involving forensic issues.
Could you maybe give some non-forensic instances in which a pathologist could testify?

Could you maybe give some non-forensic instances in which a pathologist could testify?

Med mal issues or product liability issues are common reasons I am consulted.

Reactions: 1 user
Mesothelioma.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I do not have any legit cert in FP and according my accountant I made a small yet not insignificant ~20000USD in 2017 from this niche stuff.

I would label this under kinda of a grown up "beer and pizza money" type thing if you want to throw some time at it.

Yes, I do not have any legit cert in FP and according my accountant I made a small yet not insignificant ~20000USD in 2017 from this niche stuff.

I would label this under kinda of a grown up "beer and pizza money" type thing if you want to throw some time at it.
so what types of cases were you involved with? and what were you needed for exactly?

so what types of cases were you involved with? and what were you needed for exactly?

Varies quite considerably from treading into traditional FP areas with a focus more on chronic medical issues relating to proximate cause of death to environmental pathology. Obviously the more intellectually flexible you are, the more business will come your way.