Do AP credits count toward AMCAS GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xjustbreathex

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello to all. First time poster here.

I have been searching around SDN (quite extensively actually) and have been unable to find a clear answer on the subject.

I received AP credits for BIO I & II as well as CALC I. On my transcript they are listed as credits awarded for those specific classes. My question is when filling out the AMCAS (which I haven't begun yet but am a bit obsessive about predicting my GPA) do these courses factor into the AMCAS GPA? (They do not factor into my GPA for my university).

I looked at the AMCAS instruction manual but there is only information on how and when to report the AP credits, not whether they actually are factored in the GPA.

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Happy New Year!

Members don't see this ad.

mine did, but they showed up on my transcripts with a grade and were averaged into my university GPA.

If particular grades for the AP classes show up on your transcript, I would think that AMCAS would use them as part of the gpa calculations.

No, I don't see how. High school courses do not count towards university, unless you took a course at a university or if your university gave you a grade for them.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I don't see how. High school courses do not count towards university, unless you took a course at a university or if your university gave you a grade for them.

The grade you get in high school is not used. It is what your university chooses to award you for the particular score that you received on the exam.

I got a few "4"s and was granted "A" credit on my transcript.

On my transcript it just has "CR" listed where the grade would be. Does that mean that because my school doesn't insert my APs into my university GPA those wont be inserted into my AMCAS GPA?

If that is true, and some other universities do include those doesn't that put some students at quite an advantage when applying? I mean someone with 54 credits from APs, all 4s and 5s would have a significantly higher GPA than someone whose GPA wasn't enhanced from AP credits.

I am so confused :confused:

On my transcript it just has "CR" listed where the grade would be. Does that mean that because my school doesn't insert my APs into my university GPA those wont be inserted into my AMCAS GPA?

If that is true, and some other universities do include those doesn't that put some students at quite an advantage when applying? I mean someone with 54 credits from APs, all 4s and 5s would have a significantly higher GPA than someone whose GPA wasn't enhanced from AP credits.

I am so confused :confused:

if you have "CR", then it's not included in your GPA.

i used my APs so I wouldn't have to take BS gen ed classes. I think it depends on the person and on the school whether or not their GPA would be bumped up by this. The school determines what they are willing to give and whether or not they feel it is equivalent to university level.

Also, the amount that I claimed didn't do me huge favors in terms of grades. I think that at most I claimed 20 hours.

The grade you get in high school is not used. It is what your university chooses to award you for the particular score that you received on the exam.

I got a few "4"s and was granted "A" credit on my transcript.

Ah, nice. My school didn't put anything on my transcript - I just had to take another course in its place.

Yeah my AP credits are not even listed on my transcript...but the credits are put toward my degree when I look at my degree progress report thing and it just shows an "S" where the grade should be. I guess it just depends what institution you are at. Luckily my AP credits were just for english and history so it won't really matter when it comes to med school applications, but I can see where someone with a lot of 4's or 5's in the sciences would be pissed off if they didn't receive grades and someone at another institution did. You're probably going to have to inquire about your situation to AMCAS.

if it is on your transcript you need to put it on AMCAS.. my grades on there were a PS.. so under grade, i put PS not a letter or anything. A friend of mine didn't put on the AP grades and AMCAS returned his application saying it didn't match his transcript.