DO applicant with several red flags. Do I have a shot at matching at all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xnmed16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
- Medical leave of absence (2 failing grades before applying for the absence)
- Class rank - bottom 5%
- Level 1 - 483 (failed twice 377, 395)
- Level 2CE - 456
- Level 2PE - passed
- Graduated out of cycle because of school-mandated dedicated study period after each Level 1 failures

Applied to ~250 of suburban community IM and FM. Only 2 FM interview invites.

In case I do not match, do I have a chance of matching rural IM/FM at all by scrambling? Do programs set lower requirements during SOAP? If not what options should I seek? Thinking about studying for Step 1 and 2, in case I can't find a spot.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As you know, your stats aren't great, but all you need is one program. The two places that interviewed you wouldn't have done so if they weren't at least somewhat interested in you. If they were interested in you, then the chances that some program that failed to fill may be interested is decent.

There is a near-infinite number of directions you could go if you fail to SOAP, but honestly I wouldn't worry about that unless it actually becomes necessary. If you literally have nothing better to do over the coming 2.5 weeks, you could start idly seeing if there are any research jobs at either of institutions that you interviewed at to see if you can get your foot in the door further, since they were at least nominally interested in you. But I wouldn't seriously pursue them until after match and, if necessary, SOAP.

This thread can be followed here:

Status
Not open for further replies.