Mar 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey Everyone,

I was hoping for some advice for being a DO student applying to MD general surgery. I've heard mixed things from other students, so figured I would ask on here.

First in an effort for disclosure...
Step 1: 236
Step 2: 256
COMLEX 1 and 2: scored in the mid 94th%, but I understand that COMLEX scores aren't as important to MD PD's.
Class Rank: top 20%
Other stuff: Some research, case reports, poster presentations, etc, volunteering, strong leadership background (the usual stuff).

Unfortunately with my schedule, I'm unable to do any gen surg sub-I's (DO or MD). My LOR's are from ortho, ENT, and medicine from 3rd year.

1) I'm curious with these kind of marks, should I consider pursuing MD general surgery? As in would I have a decent shot at matching?

2) I know I need to apply broadly, but is there a list out there of programs that traditionally take DO's? Also, what's a "relatively" safe number of programs to apply to?

3) Am I at a substantial deficit not having general surgery LORs? If so, I may be able to get a plastics letter, but not sure how much that would help.

4) Should I be looking at both categorical and prelim spots?

Thanks so much for your help!

joker2400

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Hey Everyone,

I was hoping for some advice for being a DO student applying to MD general surgery. I've heard mixed things from other students, so figured I would ask on here.

First in an effort for disclosure...
Step 1: 236
Step 2: 256
COMLEX 1 and 2: scored in the mid 94th%, but I understand that COMLEX scores aren't as important to MD PD's.
Class Rank: top 20%
Other stuff: Some research, case reports, poster presentations, etc, volunteering, strong leadership background (the usual stuff).

Unfortunately with my schedule, I'm unable to do any gen surg sub-I's (DO or MD). My LOR's are from ortho, ENT, and medicine from 3rd year.

1) I'm curious with these kind of marks, should I consider pursuing MD general surgery? As in would I have a decent shot at matching?

2) I know I need to apply broadly, but is there a list out there of programs that traditionally take DO's? Also, what's a "relatively" safe number of programs to apply to?

3) Am I at a substantial deficit not having general surgery LORs? If so, I may be able to get a plastics letter, but not sure how much that would help.

4) Should I be looking at both categorical and prelim spots?

Thanks so much for your help!
1) IDK
2)http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/do-friendly-acgme-gsurg-programs.984243/
3)From everybody I've talked to and everything I've read, yes you are.

Reactions: Winged Scapula

iceman720

Strength and Honor
5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2011
Oregon
Status
Medical Student
My sincerest apologies for the thread revival and congratulations to Dr. FSUguy! I hope he made it into general surgery in the program he desired most.

Reactions: Winged Scapula