DO applying to both MD and DO programs, can I change my mind after I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMan99

Family Medicine Attending (DO)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know about the complexities of applying to both DO and MD programs as a DO student. Although I am mostly applying to MD programs, I am applying to a few DO programs (basically just to interview and see how I like it- I think as of now I will end up choosing a MD program).

Here is my quesiton: if I apply to some DO programs via ERAS and later on decide I do not really want to go there (do not rank them after I interview, or decline an interview invitiation), can I simply not rank them, never sign up for the NMS and it'll be like I never even applied to them? In other words, is the AOA going to somehow force me into the DO match just for applying and not ranking DO programs?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I've read, and talking to individuals that have gone through the process last year....if you don't submit a rank list, you will not be matched.

I know about the complexities of applying to both DO and MD programs as a DO student. Although I am mostly applying to MD programs, I am applying to a few DO programs (basically just to interview and see how I like it- I think as of now I will end up choosing a MD program).

Here is my quesiton: if I apply to some DO programs via ERAS and later on decide I do not really want to go there (do not rank them after I interview, or decline an interview invitiation), can I simply not rank them, never sign up for the NMS and it'll be like I never even applied to them? In other words, is the AOA going to somehow force me into the DO match just for applying and not ranking DO programs?

Thanks in advance.

Agreed, no problems. If you interview at DO programs and decide not to train there, you simply never sign up for the AOA match or don't submit a rank list. To be fair, if you decide this early in the app season (like, when you get enough allo interviews) you should cancel any interviews you have, so that (perhaps) someone else will get to interview.

Agreed, no problems. If you interview at DO programs and decide not to train there, you simply never sign up for the AOA match or don't submit a rank list. To be fair, if you decide this early in the app season (like, when you get enough allo interviews) you should cancel any interviews you have, so that (perhaps) someone else will get to interview.

ERAS asks for a AOA Match (NMS Match) number which I have to register with the AOA Match in order to get. If I just register for it now and later decide not to apply to or rank any DO programs, will I still be able to do that? Or will simply registering for it put me in the DO match automatically?

Thanks!

You are worried about nothing. ERAS asks simply for ease of use -- it allows us to rank people directly. So, if you do register for the AOA match you might as well list your AOA match number in ERAS. It will allow DO programs to rank you directly from ERAS if they want. If they don't use this feature, then it won't matter (since they will rank you by using the AOA match interface instead). If you withdraw from the AOA match, or simply don't rank anything, then you will not match in the AOA match.