Do Australian medical schools require less than American medical schools, in terms of pre-req's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foxington

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. American freshmen college student here. I would like to become a doctor, and I love anatomy (general
human body), biology, pathology and medicine. I've always admired doctors, I've always known that deep down, I wanted to become one. I am very analytical, along with being compassionate. However, my main issue is that I am not very good at math. I can do basic algebra and statistics, but that's about it. I am also horrible in caluclus, trig and geometry. I also perform horribly in physics, organic, and biochemistry as well. I can do basic chemistry though.

Also unfortunately here in the US, every med school requires numerous sciences (understandable, but things like physics, calculus 1 and 2, complete Algebra, trig, geo, biochemistry, chemistry, organic chemistry, two humanities, etc. I was told by a friend who just moved to Australia permanently to become a doctor there that the requirements are much more relaxed, and that all you really need is a good background in anatomy+biology and one basic math and that's it, to get in that is. He also told me that residencies are a lot less than what they are here, which seems like a major plus.

Thoughts please! Are there really less course requirements to get into an Oz med school versus the US?

EDIT: I should also add in that I made a post on this forum board two years ago when I wanted to become a veterinarian, but I've realized that I don't want to work with animals.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. American freshmen college student here. I would like to become a doctor, and I love anatomy (general
human body), biology, pathology and medicine. I've always admired doctors, I've always known that deep down, I wanted to become one. I am very analytical, along with being compassionate. However, my main issue is that I am not very good at math. I can do basic algebra and statistics, but that's about it. I am also horrible in caluclus, trig and geometry. I also perform horribly in physics, organic, and biochemistry as well. I can do basic chemistry though.

Also unfortunately here in the US, every med school requires numerous sciences (understandable, but things like physics, calculus 1 and 2, complete Algebra, trig, geo, biochemistry, chemistry, organic chemistry, two humanities, etc. I was told by a friend who just moved to Australia permanently to become a doctor there that the requirements are much more relaxed, and that all you really need is a good background in anatomy+biology and one basic math and that's it, to get in that is. He also told me that residencies are a lot less than what they are here, which seems like a major plus.

Thoughts please! Are there really less course requirements to get into an Oz med school versus the US?

EDIT: I should also add in that I made a post on this forum board two years ago when I wanted to become a veterinarian, but I've realized that I don't want to work with animals.
1) Honestly I don't think you should worry about this right now since you're a freshman in college/university. Just enjoy your time in college, study something you find interesting, although you can take the prerequisite courses for med school if you feel like you want to get started on things.

2) As for the math prerequisite, I majored in computer science which required math and wasn't a problem for me so I'm not 100% sure about this, but I've heard some American med schools don't require that much math (if any?), some will accept calculus for non-engineering majors or heck I think even humanities majors or whatever. Maybe you can look into that before you look into going overseas for med school?

3) I don't know if we can compare difficulty of getting into Australian med schools vs difficulty of getting into US med schools. They're both difficult in the context of their own nation.

4) Also, look at the much bigger picture of where you want to end up practicing. Generally speaking it's best to go to school in the nation you want to end up practising in. If that's the US, then you should exhaust all your options in the US before you move overseas. Seriously, comparatively speaking, it's a lot easier to fulfill your math prereqs and try to get into an American med school (MD or DO) than it is to go to Australia for med school (assuming you're even accepted) and then try to come back to the US.

5) At this point, though, if I were you, I'd try to just enjoy college, major in something you think is fun, start your prereqs (e.g., bio, chem), and then maybe do a study abroad thing in Australia if you really think Australia might be for you. At least with a study abroad in Australia thing, you aren't fully committed, just testing it out before you come!

Hope that helps, and good luck to you! :)