Do benefits of retaking classes to increase gpa outweigh applying now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtran01

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if I should apply this upcoming year or wait to take more classes. I am taking classes at a 2yr community college to raise my grades. I graduated with a BS in molecular biology 2005. Currently I have a
3.1 cgpa
3.2 sgpa

I'm strong in english and humanities so depending on the requirements my pre-pharm gpa has been anywhere from a 3.0 to 3.4.
I think this is low. I have not yet taken the PCAT and am scheduled for August.
I live in Socal so this low gpa is particularly difficult; the in-state schools seem very gpa-oriented. I am sure with a year's worth of classes at this community junior college I can boost my cGPA at least to 3.2 or maybe even 3.3 (perhaps wishful thinking) and but my sgpa can reasonably be boosted to 3.4.

My current strategy is playing the numbers - if I were to apply I'd apply to all the lower gpa-requirement schools that take a decent amount of out-of-state students. (Xavier, Howard, Hilo, Duquesne, MCP, etc). O' Wise people of the forum, please direct me if my chances are worthwhile or if I should wait. I'm 25 and will be 26 this year.

I have 4-5 years of Pharmacy retail experience and am a national CphT.

WHAT should I do?? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, retake those lower level courses. Assuming you get better grades(C to an A), it will help a bit. BUT i suggest you check out pharmcas and speak with someone about your GPA.

Actually, You can do it yourself as well. I made an excel spreadsheet that i have all my university courses and CC courses entered into. I have a spot to enter each amoutn of credits for individual courses as well as a spot to put in the grade points. I can then calculate what my GPA will be approximately. They will look at all of your courses you have taken for your overall GPA I believe. Then they will look at your science GPA. The kicker is that some schools do their own math work on calcuating "parts" of your gpa. But that requires YOU to do your own research.

Check out pharmacas, research schools that interest you, call the admissions department, look up your questions in this forum. I guarantee you that you will find answers to nearly every question.

FYI, i have a friend that is 33 I believe and has been going to school on and off the last 14 years and started pharmacy school this past year. You are NEVER to old to go to school. Good luck.

Oh and yes you should apply for 2009. You seem like you have several good qualities schools like.

Personally, I would go ahead and apply to both in state and out of state schools. Yes, it will be a lot of work, and yes retaking classes would increase your chances of getting in. However, you still have a fair shot at getting in for the class of 2009. While GPA is very important, it is not the only factor and your previous experience will undoubtedly help.

While it's cliche, you'll never know whether or not you'll get in until you try. But, to put it in another way... while you may be thinking that putting it off by another year is strategic, I think it's just slippery-slope thinking. If you'll wait another year, why not wait another two years? The longer you wait, the more time you can use to raise your GPA, and the better your chances.

Draw the line here. Start applying.

--Garfield3d

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the same thing as a previous poster, created my own GPA calculator that way there are no suprises when it comes time to apply for pharmacy school. It's a big confidence booster too because you can kind of project what you need to get to a certain GPA if any body needs help creating one let me know.

Peace....Love.....and......Soul

I would apply now. Your grades are still competitive as long as they stay above 3.0 and you have a lot of experience. Do well on the PCAT and also apply to schools that have a lower average GPA. Good luck!

I would do both, apply and retake classes. That way if you get in, then you have a better grasp on the prerequisite courses. It never hurts to learn. Also, if you are a SoCal resident I believe you are qualified for the Governor's Fee waiver if you fill out your FAFSA, so classes are free.

I would apply because you just might get in. No one in my family thought that I would get in but I did!

Good Luck!

I would do both, apply and retake classes. That way if you get in, then you have a better grasp on the prerequisite courses. It never hurts to learn. Also, if you are a SoCal resident I believe you are qualified for the Governor's Fee waiver if you fill out your FAFSA, so classes are free.

I would apply because you just might get in. No one in my family thought that I would get in but I did!

Good Luck!

if you dont' mind me asking, what school did you apply and got in?? I'm planning to apply to pharm school this year...i'm a little iffy though because my gpa isn't that high...it's around 3.1...i will have my pharm tech license this august..and hopefully work at cvs....what do you think of my chance of getting in...thank you

To you individuals with 3.1 gpa's that are questioning whether you should apply or not, APPLY! GPA isn't everything. Write a a good PS and as long as you got some good ec's (doesn't even have to be directly pharmacy related) then you still have good chances. Not great, but definitely not bad. I applied with a 3.2sgpa and 3.1cgpa and got into several schools. Believe it or not I even interviewed at 3 cali schools (surprised the hell out of me). As far as retaking classes go, I guess since you have a whole academic year to do something, then no one is stopping you. However, judging by your gpa's I am assuming you had mostly B's, some C's, and some A's, and this makes me wonder why you would want to retake anything. Unless you want to retake courses to better understand them, just know that even if you retake a C and get an A it won't make much gpa difference since most schools average the two anyways. Some schools do offer academic forgiveness though so I guess to them replacing an A with a C would definitely make a difference. Well, thats just my two cents on retakes, but bottom line is you folks should definitely apply. Best of luck!! :)

Good response by Drug doc. One thing I would like to add as a rebuttal, it may not have to be them retaking classes but better them taking classes that are pre-req's for OTHER schools. For instance, some dont require microbiology, BUT if you need to improve GPA, you can kill 3 birds with one stone. You increase sGPA, cGPA, and you can apply at more schools. Same goes for calculus, physics, Human A&P II, statistics, or whatever is different than your primary school choice. Take that advice and you could easily take 10 or 12 additional credits that could significantly improve your GPA.

Of course if you have taken all those classes already, cross your fingers. Maybe shout a few hail mary's....