DO Chairman of AOA addresses the importance of the AOA-internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found this article in the June issue of the JAOA where a DO student challenged the AOA as to why it is important to do an AOA approved internship. There is also a response by a DO chairman.

http://www.jaoa.org/cgi/content/full/104/6/230

Evaluating the Rationale of the Osteopathic Internship
Adam B. Smith, MSIV
West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine Lewisburg, West Virginia

To the Editor:

As a fourth-year student at the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine, Lewisburg, I had to choose between pursuing an American Osteopathic Association (AOA)?approved or an Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)?accredited residency program. Interestingly, my decision to pursue an ACGME-sponsored position has been met with some resistance. Therefore, I would like to explain the reasoning behind my choice, as well as examine some of the conventional views that have governed osteopathic medical education.

In a recent meeting with our institution's dean of students, I was asked whether I was going to complete an osteopathic internship. I replied that I was not and was informed that as an osteopathic physician who had not completed an AOA-approved osteopathic internship, I would not be eligible for licensure in West Virginia, Florida, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, and Michigan. I asked whether there were any incentives?as opposed to penalties?in seeking an AOA-approved internship. None was offered.

As readers might imagine, the dean's urging to consider spending another year of general rotations to satisfy an arguably outdated piece of legislation was a confusing proposition. My question to him was this: Why would an organization, namely the AOA, as well as the entire osteopathic medical profession, that has worked so hard to establish equal practice rights for osteopathic physicians throughout the United States and beyond, remain committed to a self-imposed policy that limits those very rights of practice?

As concerns the underserved populations of the aforementioned states (rural and otherwise), one must ask why the osteopathic medical profession wishes to enforce legislation that prevents osteopathic physicians from helping those who need it most? With respect to those who initially drafted the policy, the logic is difficult to understand in today's medical climate. Paradoxically, it is to the credit of the AOA that osteopathic physicians are now able to pursue nearly any specialty they choose.

Given that most transitional yearlong programs are an extension of the clerkship experience, I wanted to know what was so unique about the osteopathic internship that required such a mandate. Most students interested in subspecialty training must complete between 1 and 3 years of general internal medicine, making an extra year of required rotations through the areas of pediatrics, obstetrics, and surgery unnecessary. This is not required for those interested in pursuing areas other than primary care.

I explained to the dean that I would consider adding an extra year to my training if the osteopathic internship provided something extra in terms of education, such as a solid foundation in osteopathic manipulative medicine (OMM). At this point, most AOA residency programs do not.

In some areas of the United States, osteopathic physicians have traditionally been a cornerstone in primary care, and many osteopathic medical schools are still oriented toward this goal.

The subject of OMM raises other questions. Why, for instance, does the osteopathic medical profession insist on maintaining exclusive rights to such a valuable mode of therapy? Maintaining exclusive rights to OMM only seems to further contradict the stated goal of equal practice rights within the medical profession. Consider a scenario in which an osteopathic physician had developed penicillin. Could he or she have withheld such valuable treatment in good conscience?

It is worthwhile to consider that what was appropriate a century ago may not be appropriate today. It is difficult to understand, given the current medical climate, why the AOA continues to support legislation that discriminates against the osteopathic physicians they represent. Without clear educational advantage, a mandated osteopathic internship as it exists today promises only to limit the scope of practice for osteopathic physicians. Such an internship will further promote what is largely an artificial distinction between osteopathic training programs and those of our allopathic colleagues.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Response
Michael I. Opipari, DO, Chairman
I am sensitive to the challenges students face in selecting between osteopathic and allopathic programs. Such challenges may involve distinct opportunities related to specialty choices or geographic choices. I am not sensitive, however, to choices made that are based purely on logic that implies that the internship year is a waste of time. Let me explain.

1. You selected the osteopathic medical profession. This means that you made a choice to commit to the philosophy, responsibility, and requirements of the osteopathic medical profession, as established by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA). The internship is one of those requirements.

2. I also meet your rationale with resistance. Your rationale (not your choice) ignores that the osteopathic medical profession, which you chose to grant your degree and to educate you to become a physician, provides an approved training system. This system has been in place for more than 70 years and existed when you entered the profession. More importantly, your chosen profession values the internship year.

3. You ask whether there are incentives associated with the internship. You also question the program's uniqueness, given the requirements of the AOA, as well as the requirements for licensure eligibility in five states. I will give you some incentives:

-A year of bridging and transitioning from classroom to clinical decision-making. Although minimal classroom activity occurs in third- and fourth-year clerkships, independent decision-making in patient care does not occur until the internship year.

-A year of clinical growth and maturation to create a more balanced, professional, and self-assured physician. This is recognized and appreciated in later years.

-A year of added clinical exposure and experience, providing increased medical knowledge and enhancing future residency training.

-A year that provides a final opportunity to integrate the multiple specialties of the rotating internship into a total patient care package. There is significant value in having exposure to specialties other than your chosen residency.

4. I wish to address the issue of your feelings regarding AOA's support of licensure requirements based on the internship. Licensure laws are the exclusive province of each state, not of the AOA. Some states have separate licensing boards, and others have combined boards. The AOA has no control over state policy, as evidenced by only five states having such a law. The AOA educational leadership supports the internship based on the rationale of quality education and not for political or other purposes.

5. The internship does not represent an extra year of training within the osteopathic system. In comparison with allopathic residencies, each of the specialties are equal in duration, with the exception of one, even including the internship. The reason the internship is included in the residency duration is because of the valued significance of that year.

6. Finally, osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT) is not the only significant or distinctive characteristic of osteopathic medicine. Although vital, OMT is a skill that is based on a profound philosophy of biomechanics, science, and a total approach to the patient. Without this philosophic and scientific basis, as taught and integrated into osteopathic medical education, the mechanical skill of OMT alone offers little. The cultural beliefs of the osteopathic medical philosophy and science form the basis of OMT techniques and skills. Delivery of osteopathic medicine is governed by those beliefs and applications, which we have been taught and which are integrated in all osteopathic medical care, whether the manual skill is used or not.

The Council on Postdoctoral Training and all educational leadership of the AOA have a rational and educational basis for continuing to promote and require the osteopathic internship. It is not based on the licensure requirements of five states in which the AOA has no decision or authority. We are also sensitive, however, to the continuing perception of many students who choose not to participate annually in increasing numbers. As perception becomes reality, and reality drives the emergence of change, we must remain open to that change as demanded by need. But please understand the underlying rationale for the requirement, and be willing to accept this as a loss in your education and training.

Council on Postdoctoral Training American Osteopathic Association

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm..well I'm glad people are writing the AOA about this. A couple things -

1. The chairman talks about the requirements of the 5 states as if the AOA has no control over it. It may not be the AOA that instituted and enforces that rule, but as the body of the osteopathic community they surely have the power to do something about it in the form of lobbying if in no other way. The AMA certainly wouldn't stand for a restriction on practice rights of their allopathic members in certain states. As he puts it, the AOA has "...no decision or authority" in the matter. That's rather pathetic. By the way, who then is responsible for the requirement?

2. What does he mean the internship does not represent an extra year of training? If I'm not mistaken, there are a limited number of linked programs, and these are all in primary care.

(nicedream) said:
2. What does he mean the internship does not represent an extra year of training? If I'm not mistaken, there are a limited number of linked programs, and these are all in primary care.
As I understand it, at least for FP or IM, if you do an AOA intership, then an AOA residency, both specialties would take 3 years which is the exact same length as an ACGME FP or IM residency. I am not sure for other specialties though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Adapt said:
I found this article in the June issue of the JAOA where a DO student challenged the AOA as to why it is important to do an AOA approved internship. There is also a response by a DO chairman.

http://www.jaoa.org/cgi/content/full/104/6/230

What an asinine response from the AOA (quelle surprise ).

1. The internship IS NOT required for licensure in 45/50 states (that's 90% for those math minded folks in the audience).

2. The AOA DOES NOT provide enough training programs to accomodate all of the graduates of DO schools (while at the same time, opening new schools and campuses--great thinking there, guys).

3. We've already had a a transition from classroom to clinical decision making--it's called 3rd and 4th year. You get the same growth and confidence in an ACGME PGY-I year. Implying that these added rotations (as scut monkeys) makes you a better physician is to imply that MDs are worse because they don't have these added rotations in their post-grad training.

4. The 5 states (one of which, I am a legal resident, as well as an incoming intern in an allopathic residency) are STUPID AS HELL for this requirement. Especially OK (where the attorneys are about to cause a mass exodous of physicians), WV (where surgeons recently walked out of the state), and FL--three states that are constantly bitching about not having enough doctors.

5. Time spent training in specialties other than your own detract from your residency training. I'm doing Internal Medicine--how does wasting a month holding a retractor and tying sutures make me a better internist?

6. I don't even have the energy to rebutt this one--but scientific basis of OMM? Are you f'n kidding me?? I have no real qualms about using OMM--it seems to relieve some pain and discomfort in some people. I've seen people get benefit from it--but SCIENTIFIC??? Not even close....

Adapt said:
As I understand it, at least for FP or IM, if you do an AOA intership, then an AOA residency, both specialties would take 3 years which is the exact same length as an ACGME FP or IM residency. I am not sure for other specialties though.

Adapt, I am glad that you are posting these articles. They seem to be generating some good discussion.

If you did a rotating internship, and then switched to a program that had a different internship requirement, an extra year would be added.

I read this letter the other night, and had mixed feelings about it. The student makes some very good points, but I was disappointed that he didn't address the current shortage of AOA approved residencies. I was also disappointed that our Chair of Post Graduate Education neglected to respond to the student's comment on OMT, which was incorrect. Nevertheless, it is good to see more students voicing their opinion.

I think a better approach would be to approach it from the $$$ prosective (the universal language)

An example:

Rationale of the Osteopathic Internship
To the Editors:

Having read the discussions concerning the rational of doing an AOA-approved tradtional osteopathic internship, I feel compelled to bring up a point that haven't been mentioned yet. Money.

If an osteopathic physician decides to pursue ACGME residency training after doing an AOA-approved internship, there is a real chance that the graduate will have to redo his internship year if the ACGME residency program does not recognize the AOA internship. Not only does this add to mental and physical stress, it also adds additional financial pressure. By repeating the internship year, that is 1 year later that the physician can start making attending salary. To many, this may be considered a 6-figure financial penalty for doing an AOA internship (instead of going straight into the ACGME program after med school). Add this to the 6-figure loans that many osteopathic graduates have and the accumulating interests on that loan, there are fewer incentives for an ACGME bound graduate to do an AOA-internship.

Some readers might respond by saying that the graduate should stick with the AOA residency program instead (and not have to worry about repeating the internship year). The reality does not support this argument. There are more osteopathic graduates per year than available AOA internship slots. In some specialty, there are only a few programs available that are AOA-approved. Family obligations might force a graduate to stay in a particular area where there are no AOA programs available. In these cases, doing a ACGME program is the only option.

I must applaud the AOA for taking some steps to tackle the issues. Installing procedures for having the ACGME PGY-1 year count as an AOA-approved internship is a very good step. Inviting the ACGME to accredit some AOA internships is also a positive steps. I certainly hope that the AOA will continue these steps, and take additional steps such as increasing dually accredited (ACGME and AOA) residency programs. Taking these steps will certainly help keep osteopathic graduates in the family.

With sincere regards,

Group_theory
PCOM 2007

1. You selected the osteopathic medical profession. This means that you made a choice to commit to the philosophy, responsibility, and requirements of the osteopathic medical profession, as established by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA). The internship is one of those requirements.

When I chose to go to an Osteopathic school, I did so because I had similar ideas about the overall philosophy and liked the possibilities of OMM. I certainly didn't read every rule and idea put out by the AOA and made sure I agreed with everything. It not an all-or-nothing deal. As a professional community I'd hope that know one would expect doctors (existing or future) to blindly follow certain practices. Tradition can be a great thing or it can be a roadblock to progress. When you boil most arguments down, you're talking about opinions and the bottom line here is...think for yourself and do what's best for your career.

Just another example of the AOA's ineptitude in responding to student concerns. Instead of showing the positve aspects of an osteopathic intern year (which I'll avoid anyway by going allopathic), he starts off with a nonsensical diatribe about "this is what you chose".

Why does every AOA official I meet or hear from have to act like a wanker?

San_Juan_Sun said:
Why does every AOA official I meet or hear from have to act like a wanker?

It's not an act!

Once again the AOA has proven it's immaturity and ineptitude with such a ridiculous response.

I can't say I'm surprised. The "This is what you chose" answer really got to me and I definately agree with one of the above posters that when we all applied to get an Osteopathic education, it wasn't so we could get the run around and have to deal with all the red tape. It shouldn't be an all or nothing deal.

My point is that this once again shows that all the AOA is interested in is our $$ and not us. Proven time and time again by laissez faire attitude and letting everything go down in flames. They are just shooting themselves in the foot over and over again.

It's this type of ineptitude and complete lack of caring that makes students, such as myself, rethink why I ever got involved with osteopathy. Personally the more I hear and learn about the AOA, the more disenfranchised I become.

What exactly are they doing over there anyway? I think I have a good idea....

Every time I read one of these "letters" and I just don't get it...well actually I do get it.

It seems to me that people get riled up or offended when you balk or are standoffish on an AOA internship or a AOA residency. I have said all along and even in my interviews that I plan on a ACGME residency. This whole response was more of an offended AOA member politically blasting a student cause they wanted the best options for themselves...even to the point of saying you can't practice in those 5 states...(righht....just challenge it like others have)

I have said before and I'll say it again. I think the best for all residency programs is to open them to EVERYONE. MD/DO/IMG/FMG all open for shop....it will force the hands of many to keep the quality of education up to keep up.

I also believe that there is a strong youthful movment that I notice. It seems most DO's today arn't the rah rah osteopathic is the best thing ever and allopathic is not type anymore. It seems to be hey...were all in freaking medicine....we are all physicians......we all have to deal with health care insurance/issues......lets just do our jobs.

I think there are a lot more people that care about medicine in general rather than..you must go here and you must do this just because we said so mentality. I may be unpopular but I'm more for learning medicine and what is benefical for my patient rather than the "history" of how a Philosophy came about. Hopefully as the old regiem gets older and retires a more youthful rational presense will be there for guiding. (sarcasm on) either that or the MD/DO professions merge cause it simplifies things immensely (sarcasm off)

Overall...I found the reply to that article kinda sad and not very persuasive.

Thanks for posting it Adapt.

I see the posting of this article brought up a debate, while my intention was to simply inform. I think the AOA rep could have been more discreet in the words he chose to get his point across. He seemed more defensive then anything and it does leave a bad impression off to people.

However, it did teach me, at least from the AOA's point of view, why they feel the AOA internship is relevant. Needless to say, like Robz, I probably was going to do an ACGME residency anyway before I read this article, simply because it seems that they provide a better clinical education.

Adapt said:
Needless to say, like Robz, I probably was going to do an ACGME residency anyway before I read this article, simply because it seems that they provide a better clinical education.

I truthfully believe this. Since it was hammered into my head from my own research, by reading and searching these boards and forums, and my pals both MD and DO saying to do a ACGME residency....I had my mind planned this entire year while applying. I never hid it or denied it to anyone....I have to do whats best for me in my schooling and my life.

Members don't see this ad :)
From my understanding, it is only those who have completed an AOA internship and residency that are able to serve on the board or as the president of the AOA. I suppose this is how the franchise is maintained, since by the time you are completed doing your 3-6 years of AOA approved graduate medical education, you are so indoctrinated into the ways of the old guard that you no longer think progressively.

With this vicious cycle in place, I doubt that any movement towards "one" medical community encompassing all MD, DO, IMG, FMG, MBBS, etc etc etc... is not likely to happen any time soon. I find that quite discouraging.

In my particular situation, I dont 'suffer' at all from the internship year rule. This simply has to do with the fact that there is currently only 1 AOA approved Pm&R residency in the country and another on its way to opening.... So in my case, the specialty has already accepted the PGy1 AOA year for most residency programs, except for the few positions that start PGY1 and not PGY2, (which is most common).
And, honestly the only reason that I definitely want to do an AOA internship is because I dont want to have to deal with challenging the Pennsylvania licencing boards if I get a job offer there.
A graduate of my school who is (was?) doing a peds neurosurg fellowship at cornell (I think, dont quote me.... its either cornell or columbia...one of the C's) made a pithy statement during a presentation he gave : "When you dont know why something is being done, follow the money"

bottom line thats the why and the how of things being done. This is true for the AOA, this is true for the AMA, this is true for any organization on any level... there is money at stake somewhere.
~gets off the soapbox

:laugh:

I needed a good laugh. His response was a joke, just like the AOA.

Yeah, that "this is what you chose" reply really annoyed me. This is the way a nun talks to a seven year old schoolboy, not the way one physician talks to another. Pathetic.

Why do I always have the feeling that I am getting a political spin job from these *****s?

Because they are so full of S*** at the AOA.
They are trying to pass another rule stating that only graduates of AOA internships and AOA board certified physicians will be able to teach at Osteopathic schools. My dean said NO WAY... but they are trying hard to pass this.
ATnS

Posters,

I would like to encourage you to respond to the editorial and write letters to the editor, write Dr. Opipari directly, write Douglas Wood DO, PhD at the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine, write your SOMA national president and ask that they get on the Agenda at AACOM's Council of Deans annual meeting. Bring this issue to your local class presidents and student governments.

Do not underestimate the ability of DO students to effect change--albeit slowly. As long as those doing the grass-roots organizing are professional, level-headed, and respectful in bringing forth their concerns you will find many allies in your cause. Do not look like whiners; present yourselves as genuinely concerned, committed individuals looking to get the best medical training possible. Present all your ideas within the context of "raising the bar" within the profession which is true. You will find many allies among younger generation DO's who are active in the AOA and trying to rise through the ranks to effect change. There are legitimate pluses and minuses to the AOA-approved internship requirement. The point is that the current policies are not rational. It is also not true that somehow completing the AOA requirement makes you more "osteopathic"---some of the most "osteopathic" DO's I know did not do an AOA internship.

Students are the largest demographic component of the profession whose "population pyramid" looks like third-world country in terms of birth rate. The profession is going to have to deal with this issue eventually, so why not start now? Use SDN as a powerful way to organize yourself and build grassroots networks. Believe me, I've been on SDN since its earliest days. Many, many, many people (journalists, Deans, program directors, professors, etc) lurk here to take a pulse on student ideas.

It is YOUR profession now. Do everything you can to make it better. Leave things for those behind you better than you found them.

Michael I. Opipari said:
As perception becomes reality, and reality drives the emergence of change, we must remain open to that change as demanded by need. But please understand the underlying rationale for the requirement, and be willing to accept this as a loss in your education and training.

Good riddens! I am willing to accept it... so let's start lobbying the five states. The AOA seems to be good at that... so do us a favor and get started. We have schools in each one of those states! It shouldn't be very difficult to convince the proper political authorities.

The reason the internship is included in the residency duration is because of the valued significance of that year.
if it is so significant, why does it vary so much? Why is it needed in only select circumstances?
As for the AOA lobbying...who are we kidding??? the AOA does not have the lobbying power they think they have. As many of you have said, the AOA is outdated and inept at adapting to the needs of osteopathic medicine today. I just hope they don't push so many of us away now that it limits us from changing things in the future.

I chose to be a DO because i love how they teach us to look at medicine/disease...that has nothing to do with an internship year that limits my ability to make an impression in the field of my choice.
What the AOA fails to recognize (either by ignorance or by choice) is that we as students realize that they are not able to provide all of us a post-grad experience that someone else can...instead of figuring out why and fixing it, they are going to impose silly laws that discourage us from doing what is in our best interests...in a way they are trying to cure a symptom without going after the disease which i find in stark contradiction to all that we as DO's profess to do.
i'm off my soap box now...:)

drdrtoledo said:
Good riddens! I am willing to accept it... so let's start lobbying the five states. The AOA seems to be good at that... so do us a favor and get started. We have schools in each one of those states! It shouldn't be very difficult to convince the proper political authorities.

Agreed. With all the difficulty for some states are having in keeping physicians, it shouldn't take much to introduce the required legislation. And it seems like if the AOA was really seeking to represent and sustain ALL DOs, they'd be all for this too.

Although I will admit, it is nice that the AOA is making the internship waivers much more attainable. Common sense has to break out at some point.

I believe that the AOA loves the internship because most of the peopel running the AOA right now were never residents. They did there one year internship and that's it. So if they did away with it, it would make them look bad.

I've been all around these AOA types and it's the biggest joke. It's a bunch of guys who are excited about being DO's because it allows them to have "important" titles in the AOA. They get up on the podium, pay Still and OMT some lip service, and then talk about how awesome they are because they are such and such on the board of such and such in the AOA. They afterwards you ask them for some OMT because your back hurts and they look at you like, "you're kidding right"? If you push them they might try to dislocate your spine with some horriable OMT that probably hasn't been used since they were in DO school 30 years ago. blah...

As for me, I'll stick to the AAO. There is a group of people who are DOs and are interested in trying to stay unique because they are unique not because it allows them to play politics (for the most part).

-Later!

In my opinion the AOA internship would not be so bad if it meant that you would not lose a year of funding if you then jumped to ACGME residency. That's the only thing worry about. Sure some will take students with prior training, but if the hospital does not not want to pay out of pocket for you then your last year of residency might be for free. Plus the fact that alot of AOA residencies are at crummy hospitals. For example the new EM residency in Kingman Arizona. Half the ER blocks are at other hospitals. That is kind of Hokey. I do not think the AOA is to blame for this though, The ACOEP seems more in shambles than the AOA. Their website has not been updated in years.. They do not return emails or calls.

raptor5 said:
In my opinion the AOA internship would not be so bad if it meant that you would not lose a year of funding if you then jumped to ACGME residency. That's the only thing worry about. Sure some will take students with prior training, but if the hospital does not not want to pay out of pocket for you then your last year of residency might be for free. Plus the fact that alot of AOA residencies are at crummy hospitals. For example the new EM residency in Kingman Arizona. Half the ER blocks are at other hospitals. That is kind of Hokey. I do not think the AOA is to blame for this though, The ACOEP seems more in shambles than the AOA. Their website has not been updated in years.. They do not return emails or calls.

I don't disagree with your intent, but the hospital at Kingman should be a god location for a variety of interesting EM procedures - on a busy highway, in a recreational area (desert, colorado river), and fewer folks using the ED as primary care. How far away are the other hospitals?

jhug said:
if it is so significant, why does it vary so much? Why is it needed in only select circumstances?

First of all, because there are only about half as many funded internships as there are graduates. So the AOA realized it had to do something, and it consolidated some residencies (some IM, FP, OB) and now they say in some cases, if you do an allopathic intern year and then come back to do an AOA residency, they will approve that.

I read that commentary in the JAOA and found it interesting and understood where the student was coming from....

I found it quite ironic that the editor didn't really address the issue of the "benefits" of doing an internship year. The student that wrote the commentary stated that there seems to be no benefits but rather punishment in doing an internship year.... maybe if the "big wigs" in the AOA would answer the questions of the benefits of doing an internship then maybe more students would be inclined to do AOA....

I think the problem is that the AOA is being ran by old osteopaths trained in the old ways.... It's always hard to make changes when the people "lobbying" for our profession are narrow minded.... then again, it's always hard to make any changes (*period*) in the medical profession itself.

I wonder if the editor that responded realize that his comments felt to me, as the reader, a controlled anger and he didn't come off as someone sympathethic to the current pleas of students....

BTW, I've still opted to do an AOA residency for personal preference, but if other students want to go ACGME... I say DO IT!!! :cool:

A brand new DO EM residency eh? I just don't get it, they just seem to pop up. It seems clear to me that the AOA opens residencies not based upon academic structure or quality but rather based upon regional "osteopathic" need. As an EM resident (and a DO), I get worried about the quality of education and variety of pathology some of these EM residents will be exposed to. In my residency we are pounded with didactics, procedure labs, and seen >100k visits. We have practice oral boards and writen boards, conduct research etc. It takes years of planning by motivated faculty to create a quality residency...not just the political agenda of the AOA!