Dec 24, 2013
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Looking for some advice during my application to DO programs.
I am a senior at a private university on the east coast. I am a psychology major.
Overall GPA: 2.77
Science Courses: GenChem I B, GenChemII B
OrgoI C+, OrgoII C
Bio I C, Bio II not taken yet
PhysicsI C+, PhysicsII not taken yet
Calculus C+
MCAT: not taken yet, plan to in March
Exposure: 50+ hours volunteer in local hospital CCU, 20+ hours shadowing/observation of 1 local D.O physician, 1 local M.D physician
ECs: Four year team member varsity sport through undergrad, 20+ hours/week training + weekend competition; sport season spans september-march.

I know my GPA isn't very strong. Undergrad schedule is extremely busy with varsity sport commitments and having to commute to/from school 3+ hours a day. Considering Master's recording-enhancing programs, and then applying to DO programs. Also considering Navy HPSP.

Makati2008

10+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
I am a senior at a private university on the east coast. I am a psychology major.
OrgoI C+, OrgoII C
Calculus C+
Exposure: 50+ hours volunteer in local hospital CCU, 20+ hours shadowing/observation of 1 local D.O physician, 1 local M.D physician
ECs: Four year team member varsity sport through undergrad, 20+ hours/week training + weekend competition; sport season spans september-march.

I know my GPA isn't very strong. Undergrad schedule is extremely busy with varsity sport commitments and having to commute to/from school 3+ hours a day. Considering Master's recording-enhancing programs, and then applying to DO programs. Also considering Navy HPSP.
Without an Mcat it's hard to judge but based on gpa alone it's low chance. Retake the Cs and get A and do well on the mcat

BestDoctorEver

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
OrgoI C+, OrgoII C
Calculus C+

Your chances are slim-to-none with your GPA even if you get a 30+ MCAT score... Retake your 'C' so you can take advantage of DO school grade replacement. That would increase your GPAs faster than a master program IMO. After getting your c/sGPA to the 3.0+ mark, a 28+ mcat score will get in somewhere.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
100% agree

Your chances are slim-to-none with your GPA even if you get a 30+ MCAT score... Retake your 'C' so you can take advantage of DO school grade replacement. That would increase your GPAs faster than a master program IMO. After getting your c/sGPA to the 3.0+ mark, a 28+ mcat score will get in somewhere.