DO Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

booperdooper

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How likely would a Latino with a 3.65 GPA & 508 MCAT with 2 years of CNA experience (for patient exposure) make it into a good DO school? What are some good schools for that target range?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How likely would a Latino with a 3.65 GPA & 508 MCAT with 2 years of CNA experience (for patient exposure) make it into a good DO school? What are some good schools for that target range?

Regardless of your answers to Faha's questions, you will likely be competitive at all DO programs.

If you're a URM, apply mainly to MD programs (especially in-state MD programs). If you're fluent in Spanish, I'd typically recommend that you apply to Puerto Rican MD programs... but you know what's going on over there. :(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Your stats are good enough for any of the DO schools. IMO, the "best" DO are PCOM, KCUMB, CCOM, Western, Nova, and DMUCOM. But there are several excellent programs you shoudl research.

You could potentially get into MD too depending on the rest of your app. Good luck OP!

IMO you have a solid chance at any and all DO schools based on stats alone! You may have a shot at your state MD programs (what state are you in?) as well and maybe some OOS low-tier MD programs, since you are a spanish-speaking URM (at least I think, do you speak spanish fluently?). IMO to be safe for MD programs in general as a non-URM you usually need 3.7+ GPA and a relatively balanced 510+ MCAT. Are you shooting for DO because you like the OMM/holistic component or because you think you can't get into an MD program. Also, what specialty are you considering? If you've thought about that yet I am not sure, because if it is primary care specialties you are considering then DO will more than suffice. More competitive specialties at top tier programs, I suggest you go MD and re-apply with a higher MCAT and some research IMO. See what @Faha or @WedgeDawg has to say, as they are WAYYY more knowledgeable than me on this subject.
P.S.-Do NOT go the Caribbean route (you shouldn't even be pondering this since your stats are too good for the Caribb anyways). I repeat DO NOT go to the Caribbean for medical school (even AUA, Ross, SGU)! Contrary to what anyone has told you, US DO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Caribbean MD. Period.

Last edited:
Your stats are good enough for any of the DO schools. IMO, the "best" DO are PCOM, KCUMB, CCOM, Western, Nova, and DMUCOM. But there are several excellent programs you shoudl research.

You could potentially get into MD too depending on the rest of your app. Good luck OP!
With all my bias aside, I would add RowanSOM in NJ (formely UMDNJ-SOM) and MSU-COM (if you're from Michigan) to that list of top/established DO programs with strong board scores and match placement. I am not sure I would include Nova in that list, but I could be wrong

Last edited:
With all my bias aside, I would add RowanSOM in NJ (formely UMDNJ-SOM) and MSU-COM to that list of top/established DO programs with strong board scores and match placement. I am not sure I would include Nova in that list, but I could be wrong

Ive heard MSU-COM is great if..you're in-state