Do Chicago residents get love from SIU??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

breck

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think the title says it all. I was wondering if Chicago residents have had any luck getting secondaries, interviews, and acceptances for SIU. Selection factors in the MSAR say that "Preference is given...to central and southern IL residents". The reason I ask this question is b/c I applied late last year after I received August MCAT scores (Please spare the lectures I already learned my lesson from this) and did not even get a secondary from them. I was quite surprised by this. I expected to pay for applying late but I was WAY above their average in everything and at least an in state resident so I thought I'd get the privilege to send them $50 and some LOR's.

I can't even begin to describe how bad it ticks me off that a state funded school can discriminate against its own residents. Maybe one day UIC will give preference to residents of Chicago, Peoria, and Rockford. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

breck said:
I think the title says it all. I was wondering if Chicago residents have had any luck getting secondaries, interviews, and acceptances for SIU. Selection factors in the MSAR say that "Preference is given...to central and southern IL residents". The reason I ask this question is b/c I applied late last year after I received August MCAT scores (Please spare the lectures I already learned my lesson from this) and did not even get a secondary from them. I was quite surprised by this. I expected to pay for applying late but I was WAY above their average in everything and at least an in state resident so I thought I'd get the privilege to send them $50 and some LOR's.
I can't even begin to describe how bad it ticks me off that a state funded school can discriminate against its own residents. Maybe one day UIC will give preference to residents of Chicago, Peoria, and Rockford. :rolleyes:

1. A simple call to SIU would have told you the following: only students that are going to be interviewed get a secondary from SIU. They screen, in other words. You get an "acknowledgement" of application from them, and nothing else if they choose to not interview you.

2. Looking at their website, they have a handbook that the class of 07-08 put together for new students. It has stories of people moving from Chicago to come to the school, and also shows Chicago as a place on their list where students are coming from. If you ask them about this directly on the phone they will acknowledge that a good part of each class hails from Chicago.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying to SIU this year and waiting to take the August MCAT. I already have my AMCAS submitted, so hopefully that will cut down on extra time, but I guess I'll just have to hope they have some open spots come October.
I can't tell you about SIU med school, but my wife was accepted to their PA program this year. The PA program says the same thing about the schools mission to rural southern Illinois. We come from the northwest suburbs of Chicago and my wife got in. The class is only 24 students, my wife and another girl from Chicago got in. Everyone else is either from Southern Illinois or there are, I think, two people from Arkansas.
Since I moved with my wife to the Carbondale area, I am hoping to play up the "how much I love southern Illinois and don't like nasty ol' Chicago." Even though it may or may not be true.(See signature.)

jackieMD2007 said:
1. A simple call to SIU would have told you the following: only students that are going to be interviewed get a secondary from SIU. They screen, in other words. You get an "acknowledgement" of application from them, and nothing else if they choose to not interview you.

Why are they making interview decisions without reading LOR's???

jackieMD2007 said:

2. Looking at their website, they have a handbook that the class of 07-08 put together for new students. It has stories of people moving from Chicago to come to the school, and also shows Chicago as a place on their list where students are coming from. If you ask them about this directly on the phone they will acknowledge that a good part of each class hails from Chicago.

i wonder if i lived in IL, and if i didnt get a secondary, what if i obtained one from a friend and then sent it in ayway with a check. Would they say, oh i guess we offered him an interview after all.

I'm a downstate IL resident and have a fairly good idea of the criteria for SIU.

They have a HUGE preference for central to downstate canidates. Central in terms of the state is debatable, but as you get closer and closer to the Chicagoland area, you'll be less likely to get in. Now this doesn't mean you don't have a shot because I've know many people to get in from the Chicagoland area.

The reason for this preference is that SIU is trying to train doctors to practice rural medicine in the central and downstate area. This area is especially underserved in terms of primary care. From my experience, if two canidates are relative similar, the candidate that is further south will definitely receive preference.

Also, if you look at recent graduating classes, many students come from colleges that are in the area (e.g. UofI-Urbana, SIU, ISU, Illinois Wesleyan, Knox, etc..). Although "less qualified" candidates may be prefered because of location, it is understandable.

In essence, Chicago residents don't get much love from SIU because SIU wants to train physicians that will still in the area.

Personally, I feel my best shot at a medical school is SIU and I'm hoping to get accepted there to relieve any anxiety and pressure of this whole process (I will probably go there if accepted).

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions.

zach1201 said:
I'm a downstate IL resident and have a fairly good idea of the criteria for SIU.

Hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions.

I guess I should have been more clear. If you know of anyone who was a Chicago resident that got in to SIU what kind of statistics did they have?? I expect a few Chicago residents to be represented there regardless of SIU's preferences. But what does it take to be considered in terms of MCAT and GPA etc??

I am aware of the physician shortage there. I thought I read somewhere, a few years back, that there was only one neurosurgeon in the area :eek: That is amazing and it needs to be corrected. However, I don't think the problem is going to be adequately addressed by SIU preferring downstate residents for admission.

I'm from "north of I-80" ;) and I got the SIU secondary last year (applied in late June). My stats were above their averages, but nothing amazing. If I remember correctly, those who were from central/southern IL got a slightly different letter with their secondary indicating that they would get an interview. My letter was worded a bit differently--I think it just acknowledged that they had received my secondary form. A couple weeks later, I received a letter saying I was complete and offering an interview at the same time.

Here's the thread from last year on the secondary--see post #16 for info on the interview request for central/downstaters (my letter didn't indicate an interview request was imminent):
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=217897

So people who aren't from central/southern IL definitely get interviews (and get in)! Good luck! :luck:

breck said:
I guess I should have been more clear. If you know of anyone who was a Chicago resident that got in to SIU what kind of statistics did they have?? I expect a few Chicago residents to be represented there regardless of SIU's preferences. But what does it take to be considered in terms of MCAT and GPA etc??

i only know two people at SIU from the Chicago area. I don't know stats for either, but one was a traditional applicant, URM and female - chose SIU for the cost. The other had sub-par stats and was rejected from Rush, UIC, Loyola and several out of state schools and chose SIU simply because he didn't get in anywhere else. He was a lifelong chicago resident, non-traditional applicant.

breck said:

They don't release those stats. I would imagine higher than usual. Having downstate ties wouldn't hurt either. But they do get enough applicants from downstate to fill classes. Again, they would probably look at downstate applicants before a Chicago resident.

breck said:
I am aware of the physician shortage there. I thought I read somewhere, a few years back, that there was only one neurosurgeon in the area :eek: That is amazing and it needs to be corrected. However, I don't think the problem is going to be adequately addressed by SIU preferring downstate residents for admission.

I shadow the only neurosurgeon in our town and boy she works a **** load of hours. I feel so bad for them. They do have a DO neurosurgery residency in my town that's pretty highly regarded, but again, there is only one MD in the town and she works to the bone.

Although the problem may not be addressed, it does make sense in my eyes that they take a preference for downstate residents. A person from the Chicagoland area is much less prone to setup shop in a town of <10,000 compared to a person who grew up in that town. The Chicagoland resident on the otherhand has many opportunities back home and is less likely to stay in the area.

Jbrice reminded me of something. SIU likes non-traditional applicants. They see them as more mature and also more likely to stay in the area. That is a definite plus for you greytmedic!

breck said:

i'd bet that if you were to look at the breakdown of where UIC's students come from, you could make a pretty convincing argument that they do give preference to Chicago area residents.

breck said:
Why are they making interview decisions without reading LOR's???

my guess here is that they have probably realized that just about anyone can find 3-5 people to say nice things about them, so there's not really much point in making decisions based on the letters.

breck said:

Check out the MDapp profile in my signature. I was accepted to SIU. My only connection to Southern IL is that my dad was from Quincy (I did mention that in the secondary where they ask about why you want to go there. I figured they would assume I have family in the area, which I probably do, however I have never met them.) I have lived in the suburbs of Chicago my entire life. Hope this helps with your question.

Oh, and even being from up north, the office staff and everyone else was nothing but helpful throughout the admissions process. The only thing I didn't like was that they only give you 15 days to complete the secondary after they send it out. If they don't receive it by the due date, they assume you are withdrawing your application and have no interest in attending...

jbrice1639 said:
i only know two people at SIU from the Chicago area. I don't know stats for either, but one was a traditional applicant, URM and female - chose SIU for the cost. The other had sub-par stats and was rejected from Rush, UIC, Loyola and several out of state schools and chose SIU simply because he didn't get in anywhere else. He was a lifelong chicago resident, non-traditional applicant.

Thanks for the input jbrice. I only know of one person from Chicago that got into SIU she was a URM (and obviously female) too. Perhaps we know some of the same people. Anyway, this is exactly why I was trying to get some feedback from here. I am non URM and a Chicago resident so I was trying to realistically assess my chances, especially b/c I thought it was odd that I never got a secondary from them last year.
I know you address this in one of your posts but I still think it's odd that every other school in the country puts weight in LOR's but not SIU. I don't know if I am in agreement with you about Rush and UIC favoring Chicago applicants. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. I just think that if 8 or 9 million people live in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs, and a lot of big colleges are in the city, this will almost necessitate that the majority of students at Rush and UIC will be from this area. At least you don't have to worry about this BS anymore. I sure wish I was on my way to Stritch. Maybe I'll run in to you in interview season or next year. Good luck there!!

IDforMe said:
Check out the MDapp profile in my signature. I was accepted to SIU. My only connection to Southern IL is that my dad was from Quincy (I did mention that in the secondary where they ask about why you want to go there. I figured they would assume I have family in the area, which I probably do, however I have never met them.) I have lived in the suburbs of Chicago my entire life. Hope this helps with your question.

Oh, and even being from up north, the office staff and everyone else was nothing but helpful throughout the admissions process. The only thing I didn't like was that they only give you 15 days to complete the secondary after they send it out. If they don't receive it by the due date, they assume you are withdrawing your application and have no interest in attending...

Thanks for the input. You aren't exactly a "commoner" with that 4.0 GPA. 3.8's and 3.9's are remarkable but a 4.0 is just plain fu--ing impressive. Good job.