DO class of 2024 pursuing Orthopaedic Surgery Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Khan123567

Reaction score
Hello!
I hope everyone is doing well.
I understand that Orthopaedic surgery is one of the most competitive residency and I also understand that attending DO schools makes it even worse.
With that said, how does the Step 1 p/f affect my chances of pursuing Orthopaedic surgery.
Additionally can anyone please help me come up with a game plan to pursue it after the step 1 p/f.
I am really grateful for everyone’s opinion.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Chances at MD programs with P/F is almost nil,

Focus on your grades and research and making connections with local programs so that you can get good letters of rec and have people willing to go to bat for you. If you are going to a school without an ortho program its going to be tough sledding due to the increases in number of DOs each year. I think research years will be very common/ a must by mid 20's

Reactions: 1 user
So if I am not able to pursue ortho surgery due to the Step 1 p/f since I am in class of 2024 at a DO school, what should i consider as a back up?
I am interested in a job would allow me to do surgery.
Thank you in advance!

So if I am not able to pursue ortho surgery due to the Step 1 p/f since I am in class of 2024 at a DO school, what should i consider as a back up?
I am interested in a job would allow me to do surgery.
Thank you in advance!

you can still pursue, only options will likely be DO programs which is fine.

only backup that is surgical would be surgery...

Reactions: 2 users