Do classes that fulfill a writing requirement count as covering english?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclaussr

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So most med schools have that year of english requirement, so do classes that fulfill a writing requirment generally count towards the one year english? for example history 25W or performing arts 25W, would these count for english?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm about 95% sure the answer is no. I think they need to be in the English department or have the course title be "____ Literature" such as Russian Lit or Irish Lit etc

To my understanding, medical schools are looking for English classes or classes that have the words "literature" or "composition" in their titles to fulfill this prereq. I'm in the same boat as you. I took a class about Witchcraft in cultures and had to write a 20 page research paper and according to my advisor, it doesn't count. It was a fun class though! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Most humanities classes have a writing or paper component. All of my political science and philosophy classes did. I think what sets English and literature classes apart is the subject matter rather than the writing component.

Different schools require different things. I'm more familiar with Texas schools, so just as an example, I know that UTMB at Galveston requires the courses to be in the English department. (http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/education_Requirements.html) Therefore, to cover my bases at all schools, I just took a year of courses in the English Composition department. You'll have to check with each individual school that you plan on applying if you want to try to get away with using other courses, but I think if you can get AMCAS to classify the course as English (generally works if the course has the word "Literature" in it), then you might be okay.

Aw. I totally thought my writing req. classes would count (thanks to my lovely pre-med advisors...). I only took two one-quarter English classes at my university but I already graduated. Based on the responses here, I believe I will have to take one more English class before I apply in June. I already completed all the other pre-reqs at my university.

Would med schools look down on it if I took the semester long English 101 at the community college near my house (so I can "finish" the English req. for med school)?

Aw. I totally thought my writing req. classes would count (thanks to my lovely pre-med advisors...). I only took two one-quarter English classes at my university but I already graduated. Based on the responses here, I believe I will have to take one more English class before I apply in June. I already completed all the other pre-reqs at my university.

Would med schools look down on it if I took the semester long English 101 at the community college near my house (so I can "finish" the English req. for med school)?

No, that would be fine.

I've seen courses in other departments approved as covering the English requirement, like Intensive Business Writing, and Science Writing. They have to be approved on a case by case basis, from what I've observed. If you think you've taken a writing-intensive course that has a chance of qualifying, call your schools. Advisors sometimes know their stuff, metalgirl, and if not, then English 101 should do the trick.

It was writing intensive but it was in the Bio dept. and it didn't have "literature," "writing," or anything similar in the title...I think I might just take the Eng 101 over the summer just to cover all my bases. The last thing I want is to be screened out for not having the "complete" year of English.

I've seen courses in other departments approved as covering the English requirement, like Intensive Business Writing, and Science Writing. They have to be approved on a case by case basis, from what I've observed. If you think you've taken a writing-intensive course that has a chance of qualifying, call your schools. Advisors sometimes know their stuff, metalgirl, and if not, then English 101 should do the trick.

I think your right that it really depends on the school. Some schools consider writing intensive to be English and others don't. That is why I think it is better to play it safe and just take courses with English, literature, or composition in the title.

It was writing intensive but it was in the Bio dept. and it didn't have "literature," "writing," or anything similar in the title...I think I might just take the Eng 101 over the summer just to cover all my bases. The last thing I want is to be screened out for not having the "complete" year of English.

They didn't already make you take Engl. 101 at your university?

Nope. No Eng. Comp classes were required. We just had to complete two Freshman Seminars to fulfill our writing requirement and we only had to take two Literature and Fine Arts classes to complete our distro reqs.

The "basic" English classes at my school were primarily Intro to Shakespeare, Intro to Literature, etc.

Nope. No Eng. Comp classes were required. We just had to complete two Freshman Seminars to fulfill our writing requirement and we only had to take two Literature and Fine Arts classes to complete our distro reqs.

The "basic" English classes at my school were primarily Intro to Shakespeare, Intro to Literature, etc.

If they let you take it without 101 at the cc, I highly recommend taking "argument and persuasion." That class helped my writing a lot, especially my research writing.

Members don't see this ad :)
If they let you take it without 101 at the cc, I highly recommend taking "argument and persuasion." That class helped my writing a lot, especially my research writing.

Sounds interesting. I'll have to see if the local CC has any similar classes. :D

My school requires students to take Freshman Writing Seminars. I took one class in the English department that was about film, and one in the History department that was about race. Both were counted for the English requirement.

I think it is important that your college recognizes the writing course you take as fulfilling an English lit/comp requirement. That way medical schools will also accept it.

My school requires students to take Freshman Writing Seminars. I took one class in the English department that was about film, and one in the History department that was about race. Both were counted for the English requirement.

I think it is important that your college recognizes the writing course you take as fulfilling an English lit/comp requirement. That way medical schools will also accept it.

I'm not too sure about this. Just because your school considers a writing intensive class to be part of the English requirement does not mean that med schools will as well.

Was it part of the English dept.?

Yep. Engl. 102 was the prefix. The title may not be exactly the same at your future cc, but I would put money on it that they have a similar class.

Wow this is the first time I get to say with a certainty that all fo you are wrong:):):):):):):)

Actually Many schools will allow you to substitute in WR classes in place of English. Since most places require two semesters of english maybe taking one would be a good idea.

So my friend applied to twenty schools and none of them gave him problems for substituting in a WR instead of english.
Furthermore My adviser sent me an awesome sheet about which schools want what exactly. While I no longer have the sheet on me I remember going through the 20 schools I plan to apply to this june and I appeared fine for all of them despite lack of two english classes.
I can try and search for that list to post for everyone.

Off the Top of my head RWJ and Emory let you substitute( RWJ says this on their website)
MCG says you MUST take two english classes: but im not applying there so its cool

Wow this is the first time I get to say with a certainty that all fo you are wrong:):):):):):):)

Actually Many schools will allow you to substitute in WR classes in place of English. Since most places require two semesters of english maybe taking one would be a good idea.

So my friend applied to twenty schools and none of them gave him problems for substituting in a WR instead of english.
Furthermore My adviser sent me an awesome sheet about which schools want what exactly. While I no longer have the sheet on me I remember going through the 20 schools I plan to apply to this june and I appeared fine for all of them despite lack of two english classes.

Off the Top of my head RWJ and Emory let you substitute( RWJ says this on their website)
MCG says you MUST take two english classes: but im not applying there so its cool

Either way, I think I'll just take the English 101 class. It's only like 2 months and it will ensure that my English requirement is fulfilled for all med schools. Plus, it will give me something to do after work everyday. :)

I don't think anyone said that all schools don't accept replacements for said English classes. I think that people were just saying to check and make sure, so you don't get caught by surprise.

I took maybe one course in the English department at my school...the rest were writing seminars that weren't in the department. I had no trouble at all (at least to my knowledge) with having my composition classes count as English courses. I only applied to Midwest/East Coast schools though, so my experience is slightly limited. If you're really not sure, try calling a few admin offices of places you think you would be interested in going and ask around. More often then not the admissions staff are very willing to help.