Do CNAs work mostly in nursing homes and hopsice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sixpence

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was interested in working as a CNA in my year off before med school. I figured it would really give me a lot of clinical experience. It seems like they are mostly geared toward working in nursing homes or hospice though. Is that true? I'd really like to work in a hospital or a clinic of some sort. By the way, I'm a guy. Are the a lot of male CNAs? Can someone give me a description of the type of work I would do if I got a job in a hospital.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

sixpence,
It really varies by area and such. I know where I live there are few CNAs in the local larger hospital because they practice something along the lines of primary nursing where RNs run everything and they don't have LPNs or CNAs. However north of where I live there are hospitals with a different model where they have LPNs and CNAs. The CNAs in that scenario work in different departments.. assisting in bedside... assisting in ER... etc.
There are many long term care, hospice, alzheimer locations that employee CNAs in my location as well.
I would search the local hospitals and look at the available jobs... sometimes CNAs serve in position titled things like "caregiver" or "assistant-*something*".
Perhaps also call the CNA training providers in your area and ask that same question as they will have info (should have info) on where their trained students are typically employeed.... and perhaps recommendations based on job type or hours or pay etc.
The female : male ration - totally depends I'd 'rekon'. However typically in all nursing positions I'd say the ratio is skewed.. is it bad probably not.. is it good.. probably not.. I wouldn't worry about it being a problem though.
good luck~

Most hospitals also hire them under the title "patient care associate" or something similar. Most job postings I have seen require CNA or EMT-B. A few only require BLS.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my hospital we call them "patient care technicians."

"clinical assistants" here... :D

I worked as a CNA/PCA in a hospital. I can't imagine that a man would have any trouble being hired.