Do college athletics look good on app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kappapiomega

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a scholarship athlete at a division II school. Will the Admin boards look at this as something to set me apart from the regular apps? Anybody who was or is a college athlete please respond with your opinions. I also have great med experience(medical technology student with clinicals, volunteer in HIV clinic) and GPA(3.65 overall, 3.9 science). My only problem is below average MCAT. (9v, 6p, 7b, Q). I am unable to take the MCAT until April 2004 due to sports obligations (softball pays for college). I still submitted my app to 11 schools and have received three secondaries. Anybody who wants to shed light on my situation would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on getting the secondaries even before retaking the MCAT!

In these essays, you need to focus on what makes you stand out most. Your level of athletic participation is very high, and will differentiate you to a certain extent. However, don't overplay it -- almost all the MDs I've worked with had athletic interests of one kind or another (I think it's part of the physician personality). I might be useful to dig a little deeper into your varied interests. Can you identify anything about sports that parallels your interest in medicine? What are the driving needs in your sports activities and your volunteer activities? Writing about something intriguing like this could make your application memorable.

Best of luck!

I think being an athlete will be an advantage to the adcoms. I was able to use that as a platform in my interviews, and I believe they were impressed that I was able to balance my time and obtain a high gpa. Definitely talk about how difficult it was to participate in a rigorous varsity sport and a comprehensive science degree at the same time, while excelling at both. They will like this, it willl show confidence, and that you have the ability to withstand the rigors of medical school. By the way, our stats are practically the same. Good luck!