Do college courses in high school have to be reported on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

philosonista

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know, I know, I know this has been asked before. But I just want to make sure I understand how it relates to the courses I took.

I took four courses from Syracuse University Project Advance where the high school teacher taught the course in the high school and I got credit that could be transferred to my university.

Do these courses have to be reported?

You'll have to forgive me if I hope the answer is no, because I wasn't a pre-med in high school and didn't care that I got some B's.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the only thing that matters here is whether there is a college transcript from the classes you took. Is there? If so, you must report the grades on AMCAS. See page 49 of the AMCAS manual.

I had a similar situation - my high school GPA was lower than my undergrad GPA (by ~0.2 points). No one has brought it up at my multiple interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
I have seen college professors come to high school and teach the course. How does a high school teacher teach a course that can be transferred to college?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. AACOMAS forms too.

I know, I know, I know this has been asked before. But I just want to make sure I understand how it relates to the courses I took.

I took four courses from Syracuse University Project Advance where the high school teacher taught the course in the high school and I got credit that could be transferred to my university.

Do these courses have to be reported?

You'll have to forgive me if I hope the answer is no, because I wasn't a pre-med in high school and didn't care that I got some B's.

You get college credit for those entry level courses. Why wouldn't you report them?

Yes, you have to report those. I had a similar situation - courses taught on my high school campus for college credit. If the classes transferred to your current university, there is a college transcript out there that has to go to AMCAS.

Then why don't ap classes transfer?

I believe the point of AP classes is to prepare you so that you may take a CLEP exam and get a pass/fail grade for credit.

Ah that makes sense, the grades do transfer but it is by default a pass/fail grade

AP classes do "transfer" if the UG you attend(ed) accepts them and you scored sufficiently high on the AP exam.

The credits transfer, but the grades do not factor into gpa, which is what I was referring to

Yes, you have to report them. I took Orgo 1 as a high school junior for some terrible reason I thought I could while working 2 jobs. Needless to say, it was a disaster, but I didn't really care because I was in high school. I did not know that a decade later it would matter. I was frustrated when I put it on my application, but it does specifically ask for it. I have 7 IIs at this point, so for those schools it wasn't a problem!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the same boat. I took 4 Syracuse Project Advance classes and 2 Adelphi University classes in high school. I thought maybe Medical Schools wouldn't like it if I took them in high school and not college.