Do collges with medical schools usually show bias towards their undergrad alumni?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Questionerrrrrrrrrrr

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
using!
for example, if I graduated from UF as a resident of the state, do i have a higher chance of getting into UF COM than other residents of the state?

how is UF COM anyway?

curious if any adcoms here know anything about how those kinds of colleges do things

Questionerrrrrrrrrrr
pw: Cluegle

Members don't see this ad.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Keep in mind MSAR stats that show % of matriculants from that UG school can be rather misleading since often times those matriculants were accepted through BS/MD programs a while back.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends. There is probably some familiarity bias at work, as well as selection bias from the applicants perspective.

using!
for example, if I graduated from UF as a resident of the state, do i have a higher chance of getting into UF COM than other residents of the state?

how is UF COM anyway?

curious if any adcoms here know anything about how those kinds of colleges do things

Questionerrrrrrrrrrr

If you get an interview could help you answer why this school!!! It helped me out

using!

how is UF COM anyway?

Questionerrrrrrrrrrr

It does vary by school as others have said, but I have interviewed at UF so I can give what insight I do have...

They are certainly biased towards in-state students, but one of the assistant deans told me they are looking to increase their OOS matriculants to about 30% of the total class which is pretty high for a state school. 16 of their matriculants are guaranteed from their BMD track. I would say of the Florida University students interviewing with my group, a large majority of them were UF undergrads. They interview about 380 people, 233 get acceptances and they end up matriculating about 135 of those. So I would say most are UF students.

UFCOM itself is absolutely stunning. The staff is incredibly kind, helpful, and their facilities are nice. They rank well and match in a variety of residencies. Best of luck to you!

Mine certainly does. 11 of our per-meds were accepted here in 2014, compared to 1-3 for similar schools.

U of Michigan takes about 25% of its class from its own undergrads (public school, they shoot for 50% IS/50% OOS).

Then lots stick around for residency, and the faculty have a large contingent of Michigan alumni.

Familiarity bias whether or not schools want to admit or acknowledge it it is often times a not so insignificant thing as well. UCSF and Stanford will profess to no end that they show no IS bias. But despite the fact that more than half of UCSF's apps come from OOS, they take over 3/4 of their class IS. It's not because they show specific quota bias towards CA applicants. And the fact that CA applicants are some of the most competitive in the country plays into this as well. But indirect bias is definitely a thing.

Many examples of this type of thing can exist. We could come up with a million hypothetical examples of this but here are a few
1) UCSF might for example have a record of those who went to UC Berkeley for undergrad that went to their school for medical school showing UB grads with over a 3.8 often did very well at their medical school.
2) They might have first hand knowledge of how brutal some UC classes are and be more willing to overlook a couple shaky grades in favor of exceptional MCAT showings more than other top schools might.
3) They might be more familiar with certain organizations or groups and have an even greater respect for those who with significant accomplishments in them than other schools might.
4) They might know directly some of the most renown professors and researchers in the San Fran region more than say Yale or Northwestern and put alot of weight in a famous Berkeley or Davis professor giving a very glowing letter of one of their students.

These are all small things and pure speculation and just hypothetical examples but they add up. And if it happens at schools like UCSF when considering an ENTIRE state, it certainly can happen with schools when considering their own undergrad students. You can bet they know which classes often have the lowest grades in their school, which majors are absolutely brutal and what types of students who went to their UG and did the best at their medical school. All that knowledge adds up and certainly could possibly influences decisions in certain cases regardless of what lip service might be given about "no preference being given" "or it doesn't matter if you went here for UG".

Last thing to keep in mind is just how many applicants will apply to the medical school they did their UG from. Unless they have an opposition to attending the same school, the odds are rather favorable that even if they are remotely competitive that the place they did their UG is one of the first apps they'll send for medical school. If say U of M hypothetically typically gets 25 applicants per year from each top 10 undergrad school and 10-15 of them are exceptional but get 120 applications from U of M UG students a year and 50 of them are exceptional, that can easily start explaining why U of M medical school is full of their alum to a decent extent.

So bottom line when you look at this look past the idea of does a school have a quota or specific mission to take their own.