MD Do competitive residencies require participation in a summer research program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Throwaway0301

Reaction score
Dear experts,

I am an M1 who is interested in dermatology, and I need advice regarding summer research.

So far, I have almost three years of research and four poster presentations. No publications yet, which I'm hoping to rectify as soon as possible. I currently have a long-term derm research position under a practicing physician. From what we discussed, he's letting me get involved with quite a bit, including writing the manuscripts for publication. We have ideas for about four or five research projects, and we're already working on the first.

A few of my classmates are applying for formal summer research programs, and I've applied to a few as well. So far, I have two offers from research programs in my home state, one of which is paid and both of which will eventually lead to publication. The drawback is that both projects are very peripherally related to dermatology. Alternatively, I also have a contact at a highly-ranked residency program who is willing to get me involved with (unpaid) research over there.

Here are my questions. Do competitive residencies like dermatology absolutely require applicants to do a summer research program, or can we do something different as long as it gets us research experience and publications? I am not sure which route to take-- stick with the official but peripherally-related research internship or do unpaid work at the more well-known institution?

Thank you for your time and attention.

Members don't see this ad.

The only thing that matters is your research productivity. Does not need to be from an official program

Reactions: 1 users
There are competitive summer research programs for medical students?