Do connections actually help in getting a residency position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turquoiseblue

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many people these days tell me the reason many people are getting into residency (IMG's) are via connections and that without them you won't get anywhere. Can anyone elaborate more on this? If you know someone in the system, what exactly can they do to get you the position? I am just curious about this and whether it truly helps to have connections in a program for residency.

If it is key, please let me know how to go about getting those connections. Are they current or former residents, attendings, med students, nurses, non-medical people, CNA's, techs, chiefs, or PD's or what? or is it more about getting externship experience at a hospital and asking them later to put in a good word for you?

Members don't see this ad.

This past year, I interviewed at places where I had lots of "connections" (i.e., individuals I knew from medical school quite well) and I did not match at those places. Instead, I matched at a great program, where I didn't know anyone. Connections, in theory, could help-with the caveat that you would otherwise be a suitable candidate, or good "match" for that program. Having all the "connections" at a given program, while not being "acceptable" by institutional standards will not get you in.

impressing someone on an away rotation doesn't really count as getting in through "connections."

Getting in through "connections" implies receiving an unfair advantage through nepotism or cronyism. In my experience, this is very rare and ocurrs only when an applicant has a very close connection to a program (i.e. the program director is a family friend or a relative).

I matched at my first choice where I did not rotate and knew no one. I do not know a single person who matched via direct cronyism.

actually, I just remembered that I person I knew got a radiology spot simply by becoming friendly with the program director.

actually, I just remembered that I person I knew got a radiology spot simply by becoming friendly with the program director.

That's not a connection. That's sucking up that most students do anyway. Some are more lucky than other. Now sleeping with someone be it residents or PD is connection. :rolleyes: