Do courses/majors matter for MD/PhDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mercaptovizadeh

ἐδάκρυσεν ὁ Ἰησοῦς
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm asking this because it seems that MD only doesn't care about major and not that much about classes - the greatest emphasis is on the GPA and MCAT.

However, since volunteering may not be as important an experience for MD/PhD programs as for purely MD programs, I'm wondering if courses/majors matter?

Does it help if you double major in sciences? What about having lots of science classes? It seems like it should, though, as you have a larger basis of knowledge and ideas (or natural schemes, if you will) from which to draw in formulating your research questions and developing strategies for solving problems.

Can majors/courses compensate in some way for a sub-stellar GPA (e.g. 3.5)?

Members don't see this ad.

oddly enough, i don't think it really matters what you major in, and how many science classes you take in college (beyond some stated minimum). i know a number of people who didn't major in sciences at all (music, history, or hist of sci, for example) and did well in the application process (though they may have done a year at NIH, or research churchills/gates/marshalls/fullbrights or something). the focus seems to be on simply doing whatever one does well, and having a sophisticated understanding of ones research. it seems like admissions committees would rather see that you have a high potential, rather than proving that you don't have the capacity to perform well in 'difficult' classes. a double major in sciences may help to some degree, but i imagine they expect a certain level of proficiency in them.

I think, in general, a double major in science isn't necessary (or perhaps even desirable). Now, there will be people who disagree, but I think unless the fields are fairly different (like my majors, biochemistry and math, or maybe combining biological and physical sciences?), the second major doesn't mean a lot (say, biology and biochemistry..what's the difference, except maybe a couple classes?). Most students who don't double major but want to stay competitive and/or are truly interested in their field will take upper level classes beyond those required for the major. Double-majoring restricts this -- I am just *barely* meeting the requirements for both my majors in order to graduate in 4 years. Of course, this depends on how many credits in the major are required for each one. Whatever you end up doing, I think upper level classes can only help you -- they will show you are really committed and interested in what you're doing. However, I don't think adcoms expect undergrads to get too specialized.

As far as GPA, I think (hope!) they do look at the specific courses you took -- whether they were honors, etc. For example, I have a C in advanced calculus (math 521, real analysis, honors)..but so far this hasn't been a kiss of death for me, perhaps partly because all my other grades are good, and partly because it's advanced math -- a difficult class, highly theoretical, and not too crucial to my preparation for either med school or grad school.

Members don't see this ad :)
My pre-med advisor says that for MD-only, you can major in whatever you want, but if you are interested in research-oriented MD or MD/PHD, you should "pursue a rigorous science major, including graduate-level courses". I don't think the double-major is important; in fact, as previous posters have said, it can hurt because it means you won't get the great depth that grad schools like to see. Not to knock on MD-only students, but a three to five year stint in graduate school requires a greater science background, in my opinion, and MD/PHD adcoms will reward students with science majors and grad-level/upper-level courses accordingly.

With that said, if your second major is easily attainable on top of the requirements and won't prevent you from achieving depth, go for it. I am double-majoring in biology and chemistry, but it's not preventing me from taking a ton of grad-level bio/genetics/immunology classes. A lot of graduate programs recommend or outright require physical chemistry, and of course I need organic and general too. Then medical schools recommend (some require?) biochemistry. Well when all is said and done with those requirements and recommendations, I'm left with only 2 or 3 classes left for a chem major--so I might as well right? I wouldn't bother with those extra classes IF I didn't find the subject matter interesting or it was somehow preventing me from attaining a deep background in biology.

So I guess my opinion is that if you want to major in two unrelated or relatively unrelated subjects, make sure you don't sacrifice upper-level and grad-level courses. When I asked a professor if he would recommend that I triple-major (I was contemplating a major in math as well), he told me that "it's better to be really good at two things than just good at three". I think the same applies for a double-major: if it's not possible to be really good at both, it's probably better to stick with just one.

Of course, take my comments with a grain of salt. Adcoms will ultimately make the decision about your application, and it's pretty much impossible to predict what is going through their heads.

A double major is some lettering that ends up on your diploma.

To echo solitude, what really matters is what classes you take, challenging yourself, and getting the best grades possible. The adcoms will likely look at your course list / grades more than the words under the category, "Major" or "Minor".

mercaptovizadeh said:
I'm asking this because it seems that MD only doesn't care about major and not that much about classes - the greatest emphasis is on the GPA and MCAT.

However, since volunteering may not be as important an experience for MD/PhD programs as for purely MD programs, I'm wondering if courses/majors matter?

Does it help if you double major in sciences? What about having lots of science classes? It seems like it should, though, as you have a larger basis of knowledge and ideas (or natural schemes, if you will) from which to draw in formulating your research questions and developing strategies for solving problems.

Hey,

I had these EXACT same questions right before I started this application cycle and I played with the idea of finishing a double major before graduation. BUT, after interviewing I learned exactly what Habari said. If you want to go into a career involving research, of course you need to do lots of research to 1)know its really what you want to do and understand what you're getting into and 2) show a demonstrated interest in it to ad coms. That being said, you do NOT need to be a science major though. I was a liberal arts major and have been accepted in to more than one MD/PhD program. Granted, I'm no Harvard/Wash U candidate, but for most average med schools it's not needed. Just major in what interests you and simply be able to explain why you weren't a science major. Don't say "i dont like science" but just tell them about your major and why it is so great and they'll understand. Just do well in the major you do choose (ie. high GPA) and do well on your MCAT to show that while you may not have majored in a science, that you are no less qualified than sciecne majors, and be yourself! Well good luck!

At my Uni, there is no indication on diplomas of what you majored in, much less how many you had. For instance, mine just says "Bachelor of Arts." Nothing about being a history major. By the way, being a history major has always elicited interesting conversations about myself, my interests, my goals, etc. Although I've yet to receive an acceptance, I feel reasonably confident I'll get in somewhere.

-X

AndyMilonakis said:
A double major is some lettering that ends up on your diploma.

To echo solitude, what really matters is what classes you take, challenging yourself, and getting the best grades possible. The adcoms will likely look at your course list / grades more than the words under the category, "Major" or "Minor".

mercaptovizadeh said:

I think that I might add my two cents here, in the process of going against most of the opinions here:

1. I have done quite a bit of research, but it is not quality research. My department has an annual budget of about 43 dollars, and as a result, I run most of my experiments in mason jars, dixie cups and beer bottles (Miller High Life, in case you were wondering). Two papers, nothing special.

2. I have a mediocre undergrad GPA, something around 3.65.

3. MCAT was decent, but not stellar

Given this, I was not expecting a successful application year. HOWEVER, I interviewed at several places I was not expecting, and I am sitting on a couple of MSTP acceptances. The reason I believe this is true is because of my double major. ChemE and physics in four years seemed to impress almost every interviewer I had (even the surgeons), and it always came up. This seemed to wipe the low GPA slate clear, and for example, the C I got in Ochem never came up.

In other words, I think that the double major helped a lot. However, I am not trying to suggest that it is required. If I had known that I wanted to enter medicine when I was a freshman, I would have done a biology degree, breezed by with a 4_0, and spent a big chunk of my free time preparing to smash the MCAT, not have gotten a MS, started research two years earlier, and be two years deep into a top MSTP right now. Hindsight . . . oh well.

Thus, in conclusion, I think a rigorous double-major helps to remove some of the damage a "sub-stellar" 3.5 brings to your application. But it is bad for the sanity.

JETER said:
I think that I might add my two cents here, in the process of going against most of the opinions here:

1. I have done quite a bit of research, but it is not quality research. My department has an annual budget of about 43 dollars, and as a result, I run most of my experiments in mason jars, dixie cups and beer bottles (Miller High Life, in case you were wondering). Two papers, nothing special.

2. I have a mediocre undergrad GPA, something around 3.65.

3. MCAT was decent, but not stellar

Given this, I was not expecting a successful application year. HOWEVER, I interviewed at several places I was not expecting, and I am sitting on a couple of MSTP acceptances. The reason I believe this is true is because of my double major. ChemE and physics in four years seemed to impress almost every interviewer I had (even the surgeons), and it always came up. This seemed to wipe the low GPA slate clear, and for example, the C I got in Ochem never came up.

In other words, I think that the double major helped a lot. However, I am not trying to suggest that it is required. If I had known that I wanted to enter medicine when I was a freshman, I would have done a biology degree, breezed by with a 4_0, and spent a big chunk of my free time preparing to smash the MCAT, not have gotten a MS, started research two years earlier, and be two years deep into a top MSTP right now. Hindsight . . . oh well.

Thus, in conclusion, I think a rigorous double-major helps to remove some of the damage a "sub-stellar" 3.5 brings to your application. But it is bad for the sanity.
"".....ChemE and physics in four years seemed to impress almost every interviewer I had (even the surgeons), and it always came up...... ""

Its the engineering that impressed them. It shows you can think and bust your rear end to work hard. After that, as long as you have shown yourself in the lab and taking rigorous science classes you are as capable of admission as any other candidate.

A hearty plug for engineering!

A physics major is as or more difficult than an engineering major.

frick said:

You might be right with civil or mechanical, but sorry Frick, chemical engineering was much harder than the physics (at least at the undergraduate level). However, physics is much more abstract, and after a point, you stop using numbers. This was difficult to grasp for a long time.

JETER said:
You might be right with civil or mechanical, but sorry Frick, chemical engineering was much harder than the physics (at least at the undergraduate level). However, physics is much more abstract, and after a point, you stop using numbers. This was difficult to grasp for a long time.

Judging from your 'location', you have little right to be making such a statement, but for the sake of argument let's do a simple comparison. Take Berkeley, one of the nation's best ChemE schools; and Thermo, which (from what I hear) is one of the more difficult ChemE classes. A cursory search on google will quickly take you to a ChemE thermo class website at Berkeley (an upper div class, at that):

http://www.cchem.berkeley.edu/cheme141/

Take a look at a couple of the problem sets if you care to. Now let's look at the physics variety:

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~qiu/teaching/112/112.htm

The physics class is certainly (from my inspection) going to be more difficult than the engineering class. This is just one example, however, and I'm sure the quality of ChemE/physics programs varies significantly depending upon the school you're looking at. But it's definitely a pretty sweeping generalization to claim that ChemE is a more 'difficult' major than physics; in spite of the fact that engineering design classes are a time-consuming pain in the ass.

This makes me laugh for various reasons:

Judging from your 'location', you have little right to be making such a statement

My location? Maybe. But I think the fact that I have both degrees allows me to be a pretty reliable judge on which was "more difficult." Think about it.

A cursory search on google will quickly take you to a ChemE thermo class website at Berkeley (an upper div class, at that):

http://www.cchem.berkeley.edu/cheme141/

Take a look at a couple of the problem sets if you care to.

I have taken 5 (yes five) Thermo classes in the 6 years I have been in school (grad and undergrad). I have also taught undergraduate thermo. So I believe that I am an authority on the subject. From the chemical engineering side, there exists a hierarchy of textbook difficulty in the subject. I know that there are a few ChemE's around here, and they, I'm sure, can verify. Below is my list of textbooks by author, and a relative difficulty in parenthesis (10 being highest).

Smith and VanNess (1)
Elliott; Lira (3)
Sandler (7)
Tester and Modell (10)

Your Berkeley course uses: guess which one.

Now let's look at the physics variety:

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~qiu/teaching/112/112.htm

The physics class is certainly (from my inspection) going to be more difficult than the engineering class.

One of my five Thermo classes was thermal physics. We used the same text book as this class, solved the same problems, and had similar tests. This was probably the easiest of all my thermo classes. But to be fair, this was the easiest of all my upper level physics classes.

But it's definitely a pretty sweeping generalization to claim that ChemE is a more 'difficult' major than physics

But this isn't?

and 5.
in spite of the fact that engineering design classes are a time-consuming pain in the ass

How would you know?

first, engineering is highly variable. while the common perception of engineering is to "build and design" things, a lot of engineering depends on developing and using theory that is just as complicated as physics.

also, you say that everything depends on physics... well, i could argue that that makes engineering harder because you have to understand the physics AND take it further to apply it somehow.

lastly, in the end, physics and engineering are all based on math. does that make math the hardest major out there? it depends on who you ask. all these majors ultimately depend on the same thing (numbers, math, etc.), so what makes one harder than the other is highly dependent on the department and not so much the topic itself.

frick said:
Sigh. I'm not going to attest to be an authority on engineering as I'm an undergraduate physics/biochem major, but for the most part, all the people I know pursuing engineering majors complain far more about their design classes than they do about the theory (engineering science) classes.

Also, consider the fact that all of the scientific theory you're learning in an engineering class was probably first worked out by physicists and chemists. Since the (arguable) objective of engineering as a discipline is to produce people capable of *applying* physical principles to real-world situations, rather than attempting to delve further into the realm of theory, it makes sense to me that the most difficult part of an engineering major would be the design components. In other words (and correct me if I'm wrong), design is *supposed* to be the essence of engineering science; otherwise, how is it any different from basic science?

As for the thermo classes -- although you're claiming the Berkeley textbook is not particularly difficult, it's still being used in an upper-division thermo class at one of the best ChemE schools in the nation. This fact alone deals a blow to your claim that ChemE is the most difficult undergraduate major. I'll reiterate that this is only one example, and doesn't really prove much of anything, but you still completely misconstrued its meaning.

The reason physics is "as or more difficult" than engineering is simple: physics (and chemistry, as I stated above) provides the scientific foundation that all of the engineering disciplines are built upon. It is not a sweeping generalization to claim that physics, as an INTEGRAL COMPONENT OF ENGINEERING, is as or more difficult than engineering when a physics major is essentially the same as an engineering major but with an overemphasis on theory and minimal amounts of design.

It *is*, however, a sweeping generalization to claim that ChemE is a more difficult major than physics, especially when (to the best of my knowledge) you're basing the claim off of your individual experiences at a single institution (remember, we're talking about undergraduate majors here). Certainly you can't attest that ChemE is inherently more difficult in a theoretical sense than physics, since the theory presented in engineering classes IS NO DIFFERENT than that presented in physics/chemistry/biochemistry classes (and is usually at a lower level than these classes since applications are supposedly being emphasized). Sure, you might have to take more classes or spend more time in the lab to complete an engineering degree, but the actual DIFFICULTY of the material (I'm tying difficulty to level of theoretical/mathematical abstraction here, which is usually the case for me) is not going to be any more difficult than it is in a physics class.

That reminds me of one last thing I should point out: engineering majors, in general, are certainly a more *time-consuming* than a physics major; and to some, that will certainly make them more difficult.

frick said:
That reminds me of one last thing I should point out: engineering majors, in general, are certainly a more *time-consuming* than a physics major; and to some, that will certainly make them more difficult.

More time consuming = harder IMHO.

I can't comment on which is harder, since I haven't taken any engineering classes. That said, engineering takes twice longer to complete where I am than does physics.

Also, the engineering school is somewhat independent of the Arts and Sciences; this exempts them from the sort of grade inflation pressures that physics departments must work with because of their competition with highly inflated humanities classes. I can attest that my grades in physics classes were often slightly inflated, POST-test. In contrast, humanities classes were significantly inflated in the actual grading of assignments. Engineering usually isn't inflated, so the grades are often in the B & C range, rather than A & B range.

JETER said:

First off, great job in school. I've always admired engineering majors becasue unlike some other majors, they ALWAYS helped each other out (I made it through Physical Chemisrty I and II without Diff Eq and "6 years old" calculus thanks to some ChemE majors!).

I also think there's something to be said about the advantage of a double major. I also have 2 undegraduate degress and yes, there were/are considered "special" by admissions committees.

Finally, I'd like to say that in my courses (toward a PhD pathology) it's the biology majors that are struggling the most. Chemsitry majors seem to have it the "easiest" in medical and basic science graduate degree programs.

Frick,

I 'started' this out, so I'll add a few comments and bow out of the conversation... I also have experience with a few different flavors of Engineering and basic science so I can shed my thoughts.

A few points:

"Difficult" - what it means is different for every person. Some things are known to be difficult, even if the steps are straight forward and there isnt much theory to wrap your head around (think designing a fuel refinery). Some have no clear schema and the difficulty is all internal - in thinking in a new and different way (string theory comes to mind).

So what does it mean for something to be difficult in a collegiate context? Clearly, where I went to school, ChemE was more difficult than say Sociology or BioChem, but not-so clearly I think it was more difficult than even Physics, English Lit, or Electrical Engineering (not to rag on any of those).

We can use objective measures: Course load, required courses, homework load, big projects, high correlation with intelligence, high dropout rates, most time consumed on a weekly basis, most years to complete, and by simply asking those who have take a variety of coursework to compare. There is no single metric here.

There is also the concept of what people *can* do. While an English major may have ended up being very difficult for me, there is no question I could do it, as perhaps most Engineers could, if they needed to. But could most English majors do Engineering? Based on my experience, plenty could (and would hate it), but many simply could not do it - they are not wired for it.

I go mostly by waht causes the most distress and pain to achieve the stated goal: how much do you have to bust yourself to acheiev the minimum. Not the person who took tough electives, but if you did the minimum to become a physics BS or a Cheme E BS, which would really bust your ass?

"Graduate vs Undergrad"

Note the tremendous differences in difficulty between undergrad and grad programs in the same field.

Once you get to the graduate level, there is a huge weeding out, so the level of diffuclty increases, and each individual student runs a different path. Most people dont end up choosing what would be the most difficult path for them - or even if it is the toughest, they presumably enjoy it, which reduces the mental burden.

In the graduate realm, I readily concede that physics can (and often does, but not always) kick most engineering currulum's rear ends. String Theory, gravity, cosmological craziness, as well as other highly theoretical fields such as advanced math or some theoretical economics, are some of the toughest things out there. But people dont do this at the undergraduate level, or if they do, it might be one survey course or so. Engineering courses usually pound you to the limit for one or two years, every course.

"For the MSTP folks"

Remember, Engineering is a professional degree - so you are not only learning theory, you are learning practice and how to think on the job. This has many parallels with Medicine. All Engineers are scientists as well since we need to understand and use the science to acommplish our design and engineering roles. This fits in very well with what MSTP's are looking for (or should be), which is why the engineers who do go MSTP tend to be looked upon favorably. Chem E, being closer to basic biological science than any other engineering (BME is a weird new one, I wont include that), and being the toughest of the standard engineering cadre, is therefore looked upon very favorably. If you have accomplished this well there is little doubt in the minds of an adcom that you can survive an MSTP curriculum. You might not like it, but you can do it.

Don't worry, I have much respect for physics students, many of whom are just as bright as my fellow engineers. But as an opinion I share with many others, Chem E is as tough a program as it gets in most places. That's my plug!

frick said:
Sigh. I'm not going to attest to be an authority on engineering as I'm an undergraduate physics/biochem major, but for the most part, all the people I know pursuing engineering majors complain far more about their design classes than they do about the theory (engineering science) classes.

Also, consider the fact that all of the scientific theory you're learning in an engineering class was probably first worked out by physicists and chemists. Since the (arguable) objective of engineering as a discipline is to produce people capable of *applying* physical principles to real-world situations, rather than attempting to delve further into the realm of theory, it makes sense to me that the most difficult part of an engineering major would be the design components. In other words (and correct me if I'm wrong), design is *supposed* to be the essence of engineering science; otherwise, how is it any different from basic science?

As for the thermo classes -- although you're claiming the Berkeley textbook is not particularly difficult, it's still being used in an upper-division thermo class at one of the best ChemE schools in the nation. This fact alone deals a blow to your claim that ChemE is the most difficult undergraduate major. I'll reiterate that this is only one example, and doesn't really prove much of anything, but you still completely misconstrued its meaning.

The reason physics is "as or more difficult" than engineering is simple: physics (and chemistry, as I stated above) provides the scientific foundation that all of the engineering disciplines are built upon. It is not a sweeping generalization to claim that physics, as an INTEGRAL COMPONENT OF ENGINEERING, is as or more difficult than engineering when a physics major is essentially the same as an engineering major but with an overemphasis on theory and minimal amounts of design.

It *is*, however, a sweeping generalization to claim that ChemE is a more difficult major than physics, especially when (to the best of my knowledge) you're basing the claim off of your individual experiences at a single institution (remember, we're talking about undergraduate majors here). Certainly you can't attest that ChemE is inherently more difficult in a theoretical sense than physics, since the theory presented in engineering classes IS NO DIFFERENT than that presented in physics/chemistry/biochemistry classes (and is usually at a lower level than these classes since applications are supposedly being emphasized). Sure, you might have to take more classes or spend more time in the lab to complete an engineering degree, but the actual DIFFICULTY of the material (I'm tying difficulty to level of theoretical/mathematical abstraction here, which is usually the case for me) is not going to be any worse than it is in a physics class.

That reminds me of one last thing I should point out: engineering majors, in general, are certainly more *time-consuming* than a physics major; and to some, that will certainly make them more difficult.