shuzee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Status
I have a few Cs on my transcript. seeing people on this forum freaking out about mere Bs makes me very anxious. I don realise that having an over all good application is more important. But i just wanna know , how many people who got in this year had Cs?? Can someone help?~ thanks~

vikaskoth

BrownWave
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
New Orleans, LA
Status
i had a c+ second semester of orgo, but that was my only c, it didnt make a big deal, came up very briefly in an interview

internet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2005
Status
C's just don't look good on a transcript. with that said, if your GPA is still high, and you have no C's in your science courses, it could probably be overlooked. just don't expect a rhodes

SanDiegoSOD

Milk was a bad choice
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
Sunny California
Status
Yes, anything that brings down the strength of your application hurts it. But countless individuals have gone into medical school with a C or two on their application. In fact, I would guess that MOST matriculants have at least one C.
Just make sure that you don't get Cs in your later years, and you should be fine. A C in freshman calc or writing shouldnt be a big deal.

Mateodaspy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2004
Boston, MA
Status
You might want to look into osteopathy.

JUST KIDDING! (kind of).... As long as the rest of your application is strong (3.5+ GPA, MCAT 30+), C's can be overlooked, just have some damn good explanations stored up for why you couldn't hack it in those courses.

OP
S

shuzee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Status
Mateodaspy said:
You might want to look into osteopathy.

JUST KIDDING! (kind of).... As long as the rest of your application is strong (3.5+ GPA, MCAT 30+), C's can be overlooked, just have some damn good explanations stored up for why you couldn't hack it in those courses.

I have a low Gpa....but wont my Mcat, clinical experience and research balance that out? I have a publication in clinical research and will be the research co-ordinator for a collaborative study on ovarian cancer immunotherapy next year , while i apply.

Trunion

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Status
:oops: Low GPA is not a substitute for extracurriculars...a C will stick out if your grades are low. Should consider retaking course (if posible) or take additional courses to boost GPA

OP
S

shuzee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Status
i wonder why osteopathy is looked down upon! I would be very happy to go to an osteopathic school if they take me.

Karina

Surgeon in training...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2001
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
shuzee said:
I have a few Cs on my transcript. seeing people on this forum freaking out about mere Bs makes me very anxious. I don realise that having an over all good application is more important. But i just wanna know , how many people who got in this year had Cs?? Can someone help?~ thanks~

I have two C's. And I got into med school this year. It has come up in every interview, but the last one I had. As long as you have performed well in your other classes and have good ec's. You'll be fine...we are not always perfect.
Personally, I had to work during my undergrad years...so that's when the C's started to happen...but I got everything under control and finished up with a very competitive GPA, a decent MCAT and a bunch of invites for interviews.
Grades are not all that matters..is a big chunk...but it is not all..

Karina

OP
S

shuzee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Status
Karina said:
I have two C's. And I got into med school this year. It has come up in every interview, but the last one I had. As long as you have performed well in your other classes and have good ec's. You'll be fine...we are not always perfect.
Personally, I had to work during my undergrad years...so that's when the C's started to happen...but I got everything under control and finished up with a very competitive GPA, a decent MCAT and a bunch of invites for interviews.
Grades are not all that matters..is a big chunk...but it is not all..

Karina
\

Thanks for the encouragement. It really helps when you get disillusioned sometimes

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
Visit site
Status
shuzee said:
yo Shuz, I had three Cs. two freshman year first semester. (chem and anthro) and 1 my junior year. but it turned out ok. as long as u can explain a bad turf.

Sarikate

Full of antioxidants
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2004
Status
Medical Student
I got two Cs in pre-reqs classes and none of the interviewers asked why. They totally glazed over that.

OP
S

shuzee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Status
Sarikate said:
I got two Cs in pre-reqs classes and none of the interviewers asked why. They totally glazed over that.
thats pretty encouraging to know.....where did you interview? if you dont mind me asking that> :confused:

Floseph

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2004
Status
I had some Cs on my transcript... physical chem., calculus, neurobiology, and one or two others... important classes. And I actually FAILED history of philosphy of all classes (I repeated it), had a low GPA and so far have two acceptances, so there's always hope! I think it was my LORs that saved me... I've gotten comments on them during interviews. Get respectable people who know you well and care about you if you can, that can make up for a lot (it did for me ;) ).

OP
S

shuzee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Status
Floseph said:
I had some Cs on my transcript... physical chem., calculus, neurobiology, and one or two others... important classes. And I actually FAILED history of philosphy of all classes (I repeated it), had a low GPA and so far have two acceptances, so there's always hope! I think it was my LORs that saved me... I've gotten comments on them during interviews. Get respectable people who know you well and care about you if you can, that can make up for a lot (it did for me ;) ).
im just wondering.....does it matter from WHO you get the recommendation. I mean, if the doctor is reknown or not? Like if i get a recommendation from a nationally reknown doc, would that stand out? or would it just be any other letter of rec?

fotolilith

It's for a good cause
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2004
Mittelschmerz, USA
Status
shuzee said:
im just wondering.....does it matter from WHO you get the recommendation. I mean, if the doctor is reknown or not? Like if i get a recommendation from a nationally reknown doc, would that stand out? or would it just be any other letter of rec?
As adcom members have candidly explained to me, the rec letter is only looked at for 3 things:

1) whether you're crazy (ie, a bad rec)
2) if the writer is well-known (ie, nobel laureate or poker buddy of someone on the adcom)
3) If there are persuasive DETAILS that show the writer REALLY thinks you can hack it in med school (ie, this person is in the top 5% of the applicants I have known, etc, etc).

So yeah, it would stand out if you got a letter from a well known doc, but it would also stand out if the letter was a boring form letter and didn't really go into detail about you.

I got accepted this year, and considering my LAST semester's science GPA was TWICE that of my FIRST semester's science GPA in college...well, as you can see, C's can be forgiven. ;)

I also had my immediate work supervisor (post doc) write me a rec letter instead of my PI, cuz I knew my post doc worked with me closer and could provide more details. And obviously it did not hurt my application.

Premedalltheway

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2004
Status
My cousin got C's in orgo( thats right, 2 C's in both semesters or orgo) and still got accepted into a few allopathic schools..(her MCAT was a 33)

SO there's always hope! :) :thumbup:

BenYossarian

thrillhouse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Status
no, but BEES do!!!!!!!! GET IT??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

patzan

Waiting for March 20th
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Name-dropping will do you no good if they don't know you well. I had a friend who worked for Jiffy Lube and had his manager write a very honest and pursuasive letter. I would take an honest/impressive letter over a Nobel lauriate who didn't really know me. ("Joe Schmo seems to be intelligent, but I'm never in my lab, so I don't really know.")

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
shuzee said:
Nope, as long as you do well on your MCAT, the C's won't mean a thing.

fateema368

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2005
Minnesota
Status
I agree, the C-thing isn't a deal breaker, have hope give it all during your interview/get chummy with one of them so atleast you have a friend on staff to support your case, and go all out because given your GPA though you have a chance your at a higher risk of not making it.

OP
S

shuzee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Status
patzan said:
Name-dropping will do you no good if they don't know you well. I had a friend who worked for Jiffy Lube and had his manager write a very honest and pursuasive letter. I would take an honest/impressive letter over a Nobel lauriate who didn't really know me. ("Joe Schmo seems to be intelligent, but I'm never in my lab, so I don't really know.")
no...i work very closely with the doctor, and hes NOT a noble lauriete, hes just a very well known oncologist whose written alot of gyn textbooks. i dont think that would be called name dropping.

txguy

10+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
refer to screen name
Status
Attending Physician
They don't expect you to be perfect......as long as you have a nice, upward trend and your overall GPA is high you are just fine (they really like when you show you can overcome adversity)....you can even look at that C as a positive--it may build character! :thumbup:

Good luck :luck:

P.S. I got a C at community college (didn't know I would be applying for med school back in 1999!) and a C my senior year at UT (major senioritis in 2001!) and I got into med school :D

-tx

DianaLynne

Catwoman!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2004
Ann Arbor, MI
Status
I even have a D from my first undergraduate degree! So, it really comes down to how you explain slumps in grades and have enough going on in the rest of your application to pique their interest.

brucecat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
Philly
Status
The C's will definitely hurt you at some schools.. If there's extenuating circumstances, be sure to explain them to each of the schools, even if they don't ask you to. I had a C and a C+ in premed req's one semester, and I think it has definitely hurt me in this process. I had a legitimate extenuating circumstances, but didn't explain it on my application b/c: 1) it was personal; and 2) I thought it was obvious that something was wrong that semester b/c every other semester my grades were very high. So I figured it wasn't a big deal. But as someone else posted, since the process is so competitive, the C's give them a quick reason to weed out applicants (at least at the more difficult schools)...