DO Cycle 2018-2019: Is a June 30 MCAT re-take too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emilybk

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT for the first time this January and received a 502. I want to take it again to see if I can improve my score (nothing crazy, maybe a 504/505 or so), but I'm afraid that taking it June 30 will put me too late in the application cycle. I already have most of my AACOMAS Primary filled out, letters are completed, and I'm on track to have my primary submitted by early June. Of course they'll already have my first score to look at, but will having my second score not being released until July 31 significantly hurt my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Not for DOs. DO schools run longer than MDs. You will be fine. Just have everything else besides the MCAT score ready on your AACOMAS. In that way, you can submit it right away after you get your scores.

Not for DOs. DO schools run longer than MDs. You will be fine. Just have everything else besides the MCAT score ready on your AACOMAS. In that way, you can submit it right away after you get your scores.

I was actually planning on submitting my primary either later this month or at the beginning of June, some time before my second MCAT score will be released, just so that by the time the score does get released in late July, my primary will already be verified. Does that sound like the right way to go about it, or do you think I should hold off on submitting my primary until after the score release?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was actually planning on submitting my primary either later this month or at the beginning of June, some time before my second MCAT score will be released, just so that by the time the score does get released in late July, my primary will already be verified. Does that sound like the right way to go about it, or do you think I should hold off on submitting my primary until after the score release?
You can do that. Just be aware some schools send secondaries based on MCAT scores

that's when I did it last year, as long as you prewrite secondaries you will still be totally fine. Honestly you probably be fine even without it, but the earlier the better always

Getting verified at most schools literally takes less than a week. Just pre write your secondaries an it will be fine. Who knows? Maybe youll get a randomly good mcat and not even want to bother submitting to DO schools.

Thanks for your answers! I'm wondering if it would be better to submit my primary before the new MCAT score has come in and then just update schools once the score is released, OR if I should wait to submit my app to schools until I have the new score? I'll probably apply to the same schools regardless of how well the retake goes.

Definitely not too late. I re-took my MCAT in September and got accepted this spring.

My application was complete in mid August and I got 7 interviews.

I took the MCAT for the first time this January and received a 502. I want to take it again to see if I can improve my score (nothing crazy, maybe a 504/505 or so), but I'm afraid that taking it June 30 will put me too late in the application cycle. I already have most of my AACOMAS Primary filled out, letters are completed, and I'm on track to have my primary submitted by early June. Of course they'll already have my first score to look at, but will having my second score not being released until July 31 significantly hurt my application?
NO., it's not too late. The DO cycle is longer.