Do D.O. doctors experiance discrimination in the medical field of any kind?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^ I think you're preaching to the choir here.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, I didn't take it personally. Just amused at those carrying on the concern about anti-DO bias despite refutation from those of us who are actually out there.

Yup ... this was the point I was trying to convey as well:

DO Resident: ' I've experienced it first hand - don't sweat it.'

pre-med: 'I've shadowed over 2 physicians for a total of 8 hours, volunteered in an ER for 3 weeks, AND my 2nd cousin is a nurse who told me she once worked with a doctor who had a friend who thought DOs were inferior. Ergo, DO bias exists.'

(palm to face)

Do you really think D.O matter compare to MD? I mean US MD> US DO> Carrib MD in terms of competiveness. So where is this going because when you say MD you are referring all foreign MD's as well and say they have better education than DO. If DO are that inferior as people think then mind as well close up the carribean shops.

Now I don't want to speak for everyone, but I do feel comfortable saying ...

"Huh ?"

Members don't see this ad :)
If DO> carrib MD, and if people are saying MD are more superior, we will than start asking which MD schools you went.

The funny part is that outside of the neurotic SDN world, most MD's don't even bother to look for any difference of flaw in DO's. I've shadowed the same EM physician for months now, and ultimately what matters is that you do your job as a physician, ie show up and do the admission paperwork.

I did talk to an MD today in a free clinic I volunteer in. We talked about DO discrimination and he said its dying away as the old dinosaurs who had problems with DOs in the past retire.

I think everything will be fine. Ultimately, we determine how good of a clinician we'll be...

PS: Jagger, sorry for replying to you with phrases like "this doctor I shadowed" as I am still a premed.. haha

Hahaha, like everything in life ... generalizations never work. There are "pre-meds" who purposely tell you the wrong things to study in O-Chem in a wild attempt to boost their own grade and argue with residents, and then there are normal, cool people who just happen to be pre-medical students. You fall into the second category ... so no harm no foul :thumbup:

So how about this...

Not at about DO discrimination, but here goes...

Today we had a patient back out of open heart surgery because our only heart surgeon is Jamaican. Her words, "I just don't know if I want one of those types doing my operation." I explained that he trained at Mayo and Case Western for residency and fellowship and she was still unconvinced. Three weeks ago I was asked by another patient if he had ever worked the cane fields because his hands were knobby looking.

Discrimination happens...

I do not understand the nature of discrimination of DO's, if pre-meds actually want to go into medicine, shouldn't they look past differences in the same way they should toward their future patients... :xf:

I do not understand the nature of discrimination of DO's, if pre-meds actually want to go into medicine, shouldn't they look past differences in the same way they should toward their future patients... :xf:

Huh?

So how about this...

Today we had a patient back out of open heart surgery because our only heart surgeon is Jamaican. Her words, "I just don't know if I want one of those types doing my operation." I explained that he trained at Mayo and Case Western for residency and fellowship and she was still unconvinced. Three weeks ago I was asked by another patient if he had ever worked the cane fields because his hands were knobby looking.

UGH ... Jesus. :thumbdown:

Do you really think D.O matter compare to MD? I mean US MD> US DO> Carrib MD in terms of competiveness. So where is this going because when you say MD you are referring all foreign MD's as well and say they have better education than DO. If DO are that inferior as people think then mind as well close up the carribean shops.

I have no idea what you just said-- none whatsoever. I was trying to follow the logic... but I can't even follow the syntax. Maybe you could restate this in other terms?

If DO> carrib MD, and if people are saying MD are more superior, we will than start asking which MD schools you went.

Your posts are like those pictures where if you stare at them long enough from a distance, you suddenly see a spaceship...except I haven't seen it yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
So how about this...

:eek:

That is just ridiculous, but why did you state that in this thread?

20080918_Picard_Facepalm.jpg

Your posts are like those pictures where if you stare at them long enough from a distance, you suddenly see a spaceship...except I haven't seen it yet.

Spaceship??? I saw a dinosaur. Damn! I did it wrong.

There will always be "he couldn't get into MD school" behind peoples head. at least for those who are informed. I would say that most DOs are aware of that as well. As far as I know, I dont think there is any discrimination. You are just as compatible as a real MD.

Now, people will value you, respect you, and like you because you are great physician,and have a loving nature and nice personality. And for that, what your badge says wont matter. and people will value that 100 times more than whether your MD or DO.

There are "pre-meds" who purposely tell you the wrong things to study in O-Chem in a wild attempt to boost their own grade
it doesn't stop there, exchange o-chem for whatever rotation (or even pre clinical yrs) you're doing. I've seen quite a bit of this viciousness this year while on audition rotations. it's just wrong......don't be that guy:nono:

I only posted this because people always think that being a DO will lead to some kind of discrimination. It won't any more than any other kind of difference. People are people and some will discriminate. Being a physician means you will work with and treat many people with all kinds of beliefs and background and discrimination of one kind or another is something that all of us will most likely face.

It's best to be a good-looking, middle-aged, white male MD to prevent all possible discrimination.

I mean if I got discriminated against I'd just melt.

There will always be "he couldn't get into MD school" behind peoples head. at least for those who are informed. I would say that most DOs are aware of that as well. As far as I know, I dont think there is any discrimination. You are just as compatible as a real MD.

Now, people will value you, respect you, and like you because you are great physician,and have a loving nature and nice personality. And for that, what your badge says wont matter. and people will value that 100 times more than whether your MD or DO.

My vote for the worst response in the thread :thumbup:

It's best to be a good-looking, middle-aged, white male MD to prevent all possible discrimination.

I mean if I got discriminated against I'd just melt.

Dang it.. I was hoping I just had to get the sex change, but now I gotta do more plastic surgery to change my apparent ethnicity and age as well?

:ninja:

If Michael Jackson did it, so can you.

This thread is missing the bigger picture. Which is more important, janitor school v custodian school?

This thread is missing the bigger picture. Which is more important, janitor school v custodian school?

Why not do both? Have dual degrees and the freedom to work anywhere you want. I guess it's the equivalent of having an MD PhD. Obviously don't worry about the debt from doing both schools. Because you will ultimately end up making more than most doctors anyways so you will live a good life.

Dual Janitor degrees? We got to give them a cool name.

How about....

Bachelors of Science in Cleanliness Operations (Janitor)

Bachelor's of Science in Mop Head Mangement

Bachelor's of Artistic Interpreted Sciences in Cleanliness Technology with a minor in Mop Head Management.

Masters in Mop Head Management

PhD in Psychology of Cleanliness Operations

Of course we cannot forget the MD for Custodians. I can see it NerdyAndrea MDCust stands for Mop Driven Custodian.

NerdyAndrea DOJ Daily Operations Janitor.

There now....I am not seeing a difference between MD and DO

Oh, and of course any degree can be combined, I think it's the more letters after your name the better.

I had entirely too much fun after recoding some biostatistics data ;)

A

I am a pre-med student at UVM, applying to both M.D. and D.O. schools. I'm mostly interested in hearing from any doctors or residents who graduated from Osteopathic school. How is working in residency with M.D. graduates? How about after residency? Do other professionals care that you went to an osteopathic Med-school? Do hospitals treat you differently? Is there noticeable discrimination in other doctor's attitudes towards you because of where you went to school?

I'm MD, but my two cents are that once you reach residency (and beyond) you will find few people who care about anything but your performance.

I have, however, seen DO applicants to the allopathic match get treated inequitably. Depending on the idiosyncrasies of the programs they apply to, they may be less likely to get an interview, and/or less likely to be ranked highly than their US-MD counterparts. I doubt this is a systemic issue, but if you're asking about any kind of discrimination, there you go.

mrobicha said:
Also, for U.S. Docs, do you feel that osteopathic Medical schools are inferior?

Not inherently, but there does seem to be greater variation in educational quality. If you do end up in DO school you should work very hard to maximize the value of your M3/M4 clerkships.

I'm MD, but my two cents are that once you reach residency (and beyond) you will find few people who care about anything but your performance.

I have, however, seen DO applicants to the allopathic match get treated inequitably. Depending on the idiosyncrasies of the programs they apply to, they may be less likely to get an interview, and/or less likely to be ranked highly than their US-MD counterparts. I doubt this is a systemic issue, but if you're asking about any kind of discrimination, there you go.

Not inherently, but there does seem to be greater variation in educational quality. If you do end up in DO school you should work very hard to maximize the value of your M3/M4 clerkships.
most realistic answer on this thread

I've heard this response before from this guy....
stuart-smalley.jpg

Last edited:

how interesting, the doctors I work with say the same thing...

I was just too afraid to post... :scared: The whole face palm pics, y'know?

But it could be regional as well. I work in a Cali hospital.

BTW Parts...your avatar...the only man I'm jealous of...one with a chainsaw for a hand. Very sex.

ACGME programs showing a bias isn't anything new, shocking - or to me, unfair. I guess I personally don't even register it as "discrimination" in my brain. Especially when it's so variable and there are so many factors to consider. However, call me naive, and obviously I haven't gone through this yet, but I struggle to complain about ACGME discrimination when AOA residencies are completely closed to MD students and ACGME spots being available to DO students essentially being the only reason DO schools can stay in business right now (ie NOT enough AOA spots for all graduating students).

ACGME programs showing a bias isn't anything new, shocking - or to me, unfair. I guess I personally don't even register it as "discrimination" in my brain. Especially when it's so variable and there are so many factors to consider. However, call me naive, and obviously I haven't gone through this yet, but I struggle to complain about ACGME discrimination when AOA residencies are completely closed to MD students and ACGME spots being available to DO students essentially being the only reason DO schools can stay in business right now (ie NOT enough AOA spots for all graduating students).

Well, opening up spots cost money. Are AOA residency spots also funded by Medicare? If not, then opening up AOA spots that might go unfilled is a losing business proposition for hospitals.

Well, opening up spots cost money. Are AOA residency spots also funded by Medicare? If not, then opening up AOA spots that might go unfilled is a losing business proposition for hospitals.

I was actually wondering the other day if they were funded by medicare ... I do not believe so.

They are funded by medicare. There are a few spots out there that are either privately funded or unfunded, but they are in the vast minority.

I am a pre-med student at UVM, applying to both M.D. and D.O. schools. I'm mostly interested in hearing from any doctors or residents who graduated from Osteopathic school. How is working in residency with M.D. graduates? How about after residency? Do other professionals care that you went to an osteopathic Med-school? Do hospitals treat you differently? Is there noticeable discrimination in other doctor's attitudes towards you because of where you went to school?
Also, for U.S. Docs, do you feel that osteopathic Medical schools are inferior? Would you prefer working with a M.D. educated Doc over a D.O. educated Doc?

I think this will give you some insights..

Hospitals tends to care more about your reputation as a worker than MD vs. DO.

I did one time witness a surgery director (administrator) mockingly cast aside a surgeon’s opinion because, “Well, you’re a D.O., sooooo......... Hahahaha!”

At the time I had very little education on the topic and I never really payed attention.

It has been made known that Ivy transplants typically get their way, for whatever reason. (Do patients care where their doctors trained? Do they know? I doubt it.)

8 year old necrobump by a guy with 4 posts? Interesting

Reactions: 2 users