Do dental schools average old and new dat scores or

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bjamm

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
do they usually take the most recent or highest?
also, is it looked down upon if you take it the first time and don't do well, but improve the second time?

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools do not average and they take the most recent.

Some schools claim to take the highest. You may want to check with the schools you are applying to.

No, most people take the DAT more than once. Improvements are never a bad thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools do not average and they take the most recent.

Some schools claim to take the highest. You may want to check with the schools you are applying to.

No, most people take the DAT more than once. Improvements are never a bad thing.

thank you! my exam is in two days and i feel like im not ready for it and i cant postpone it. im just worried that ill score below average and the score will be permanently there for schools to see. i feel like it would be hard for schools to ignore old scores even when they say they dont

thank you! my exam is in two days and i feel like im not ready for it and i cant postpone it. im just worried that ill score below average and the score will be permanently there for schools to see. i feel like it would be hard for schools to ignore old scores even when they say they dont

I personally would cancel the DAT and repay the full amount for new test if it is too late to postpone, and if you feel you will score below average. If you take it now and score low, you will have to pay for a full test again anyway. I think canceling and taking when ready is better than having low marks on file.

Reactions: 1 user

Your concern is valid, but you'll never know how you'll really do until it's all said and done. Plenty of folks take the exam more than once.

Even if they don't ignore old scores, improvements become a talking point during the interview. It's to your benefit.

DAT is only one part of the app, is given on one single day (could have a bad day, good day, hard exam, easy exam, etc.), and not the sole factor. If it was, how would we explain the 23-26AA folks that are reapplicants?

Best of luck!