Do dental schools conduct interviews in December?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dent_wannabe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to determine if it is safe for me to block off personal time during sometime in December, without the worry that I might get an interview invite that is "take it or leave it" for a specified date. I don't think schools will allow you to reschedule simply because of personal reasons. I have seen that some schools interview up until November, then resume in January. But I just don't know if that is the norm or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Then do you know if it looks bad for me to ask to reschedule an interview because of a previously scheduled vacation? I feel that the only excuse I had seen people use was prior commitment to interview with another school on the offered date.

Members don't see this ad :)
think about what happens in December-
finals week, and then the holidays
many schools offer a bunch of their spots on December 1(or 3), and deposits are not due for a month
so they really do not have many spots to offer
plus applicants and dental schools have finals, and they are unlikely to want to disturb their schools during this time, nor do they expect applicants to leave classes and travel to interviews right before their finals
then after finals is vacation/holidays, all of the students and most of the faculty and some of the staff will be gone
of course it depends on the school, but December is the least busy time for interviews

Then do you know if it looks bad for me to ask to reschedule an interview because of a previously scheduled vacation? I feel that the only excuse I had seen people use was prior commitment to interview with another school on the offered date.
It may look bad, so just schedule your vacation to be after Dec 14th? Schools have many applicants to choose from, and may give your interview to someone who can be there in Dec and just have you interview at a much later date (who knows though).

Anecdotal, but I have a scheduled interview at a school on the 19th of Dec, so yes some schools will have them ongoing, just as a heads up. On the other hand you can probably deduce which schools interview in Dec by combining through previous years threads if you are concerned.