Do Dental Schools vary in their view of Master's degree?

TastyFury

HungryGummyBear
5+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello!

So this is in regards to obtaining a master's degree before applying for dental school. Unfortunately I went through some tough struggles and will end up with most likely a 2.8GPA in undergrad. Getting to the point, would a dental school view me as an applicant differently if I had a master's from Rutgers vs. JHU? Lets assume the master's GPA is held constant and the only differences are the programs and name brand.

So far the different programs I've found were:
Biomed geared towards pre-med/dent students
Normal Bio 2yrs masters & 1 yr accelerated
And I guess Barry (seems to be in its own category for having the masters geared especially toward getting into med/dent school)

My worry is that a typical masters will be viewed differently versus an accelerated master's geared towards dental school. I want to make sure I give myself the best chance possible. And if anyone is curious, I'm really looking to get into Maryland Dental.

Any advice on my "to apply" list would be awesome as well (I live in MD):
JHU
Rutgers - Newark
Georgetown / George Mason
Barry
Midwestern
Tufts
NOVA
*I have strong interest in neuroscience research so I also wanted to apply to:
Northwestern
SUNY

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
F

fogorvostan

I would get a Master's degree that can be used for employment in case dental school doesn't work out. I went out of state for my Master's and it cost me a quite a bit, but it was in something that I love (public health) and I know that if for some horrible twisted reason that I can never get into dental school, I can fall back on my MPH and obtain a job. Now, granted, I want to one day work as a public health dentist, so my MPH was relevant to what I want to do in dentistry.

I would also consider the requirements of each program. For instance, mine had an internship and a thesis, not which not all programs do. Also the possibility of doing it 1 year regardless of whether or not it is labeled as "accelerated". I did my MPH in 1 year (fall to summer) even though it was supposed to take 2.

Either way, pick something that generally interests you. If you do not like it, you're not going to enjoy your research or the hours you spend reading other's research.

Reactions: DentalLonghorn2014

sugarmagnolia91

5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
I just started my Master's in Cell and Molecular Biology at Tulane. I'd look into it if I were you! It's one year, 30 credits, no thesis, and you can take Anatomy w/ a live human cadaver which is supposed to be really helpful as dental school preparation. It's a small, intimate program so you get a lot of attention which is really nice. Everyone in the program has the intention of going on to med/dental school. They also have a community service requirement so you can volunteer at a dental clinic or somewhere else while completing your classes.

I had planned on going to Barry b/c of their dental track, but I felt like they were running the school more like a business. They wanted me to complete the coursework in two years, taking only 9 credits a semester. Also, I don't remember seeing any classes that were specifically dental-related, so that defeated the purpose of having a dental track (in my mind). Tulane CMB has a discounted tuition rate, so you get all the benefits of a private school for half the price.

Tulane has a Neuroscience master's, which is also supposed to be good. Maybe you could look into that too, since you like neuro. In the Cell and Molecular Bio program, you have a lot of freedom in choosing which courses will best help you/your application. They offer a few good neuro classes, and you could choose to fulfill your research requirement in a neuro-related field as well.

I would also consider Boston University's Master in Oral Health Sciences, because they have some sort of linkage (I think) with BU Dental School.

Good luck!

Johnwickk

2+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I just started my Master's in Cell and Molecular Biology at Tulane. I'd look into it if I were you! It's one year, 30 credits, no thesis, and you can take Anatomy w/ a live human cadaver which is supposed to be really helpful as dental school preparation. It's a small, intimate program so you get a lot of attention which is really nice. Everyone in the program has the intention of going on to med/dental school. They also have a community service requirement so you can volunteer at a dental clinic or somewhere else while completing your classes.

I had planned on going to Barry b/c of their dental track, but I felt like they were running the school more like a business. They wanted me to complete the coursework in two years, taking only 9 credits a semester. Also, I don't remember seeing any classes that were specifically dental-related, so that defeated the purpose of having a dental track (in my mind). Tulane CMB has a discounted tuition rate, so you get all the benefits of a private school for half the price.

Tulane has a Neuroscience master's, which is also supposed to be good. Maybe you could look into that too, since you like neuro. In the Cell and Molecular Bio program, you have a lot of freedom in choosing which courses will best help you/your application. They offer a few good neuro classes, and you could choose to fulfill your research requirement in a neuro-related field as well.

I would also consider Boston University's Master in Oral Health Sciences, because they have some sort of linkage (I think) with BU Dental School.

Good luck!
Hey, do you know if they accept Canadians? I was just on the website and it didn't have anything in regards to international applicants.

sugarmagnolia91

5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey, do you know if they accept Canadians? I was just on the website and it didn't have anything in regards to international applicants.
Hi, yes they do! I think they even offer the same tuition rate regardless of international status.

aznriptide859

Who's stealing my WiFi?
5+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2012
*clap clap clap clap* DEEP IN THE HEAAART OF TEXAS
Status
Pre-Dental
Oh god Barry. They would not stop spamming me letters and phone calls when I didn't complete their application (I had been accepted into A&M's BIMS anyways).

Wait a minute...