Do dentists really make more than doctors, per hour?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artvandelay786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend told me that dentists make more than doctors by hour. I was wondering if anyone here could either substantiate or refute that claim. EDIT: Saw another thread on the matter, making this thread obsolete.

Members don't see this ad.

My friend told me that dentists make more than doctors by hour. I was wondering if anyone here could either substantiate or refute that claim. EDIT: Saw another thread on the matter, making this thread obsolete.

This question is impossible to answer because there are too many factors involved such as hours of work and types of specialty. However, I can with confidence that someone with an established busy general dentistry practice the salary is much higher than that of a GP physician. DP

Members don't see this ad :)
In general, dentists earn more per hour than physicians.

It's crazy how value is assigned to professional work in the United States. As a physician, I have developed a skill set that enables me to save a person's life, if necessary. I've had the privilege of doing so on many occasions through the course of my training. However, if you look at the fee schedules for medicine and dentistry, it's pretty obvious that dental work is assigned a higher value (i.e., it's more lucrative) than many lifesaving medical interventions/services.

Evidently dental health is more "valuable" than saving a life. Go figure.

This is true for most developed countries. Its not that dentistry is "valued" more but it is valued less. On a second note, fees are higher because the profit margin is much lower in dentistry as compared to the procedures of our medical counterparts. Correct me if I stand wrong. Lastly insurance companies produce an undue hardship on medical fees. I don't think that dentistry as a whole is more lucrative. I think they both stand lucrative and its more about timing and approach, with a slight of luck.