Do/Did any of you major in Art?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stewie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
And if so, how did it work out? I'm a freshman at an ivy-league university and I want to major in visual art and biochemistry. Is it possible to do the pre-med requirements along with a double major? How did being an art major help/hurt you during the app. process, medical school and beyond? Thanks.;)

Members don't see this ad.

a friend of mine was an actual artist before going back to school post-bac and then going to med school- i think the med school liked his different background

my interviewer was an art major and now he's a physician so it's possible. not sure if it's possible to double major with it, but as long as you're doing the premed requirements, the degree in biochem should just be a few more classes on top of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there.

Yup, majored in art for BA (with zero science classes), and got an MFA as well. Did all my sciences post-bacc. No problems getting into medical school, although it was sometimes difficult to articulate the connection between my art and my desire to practice medicine -- the two fields use radically different vocabularies, and I felt as if I continually had to "translate" myself.

By the way, I think art + biochemistry would be a great combination. Good luck!

I think it is doable if your biochem requirements cover your pre-med requirements. Otherwise, your double major would become like a triple-major. I did English and pre-med (at an ivy) and that came out to be approximately a double-major; if I'd done English and biochem, it would've likely been similar to a double major as well. But if I had done English and Art double-major, I wouldn't have been able to fit the pre-med classes in.

I assume you want to do art because you like art; why are you interested in the biochem major? I think you have to look at your reasons for that and decide from there-- if it is for "getting in" or "being prepared for med school," (a lot of people have that reasoning) I don't think it is worth it; but if you are sincerely interested in the subject then go for it.

i would definitely try to do it-- it probably takes a lot of planning and real limitations on other courses you can take, but my art classes fulfill me and serve as an inherent balance to science and problem sets.

All of my interviewers ask me about my photography stuff-- it definitely wont hurt you!!!

Good luck!

Yeah, I'm a music major, and to get everything done in four years I will have had to take over 170 units by the time I graduate. But an interesting major like that is DEFINITELY worth it if you can pull it off. But don't be like me and check into the curriculum first and see if it's a commitment you can handle. If the degree in art is B.A., there will likely be more room for you to take extra premed and biochem classes. If it's a more specialized degree like a B.F.A. (mine will be a B.M.), you will likely have to take more art classes and have less room for premed stuff.

My recommendation if its too much to do is consider dropping the biochem major and just to art plus premed (like a minor in science). You'll get all the science stuff you need that way but you may still have to take summer school or extra units. Investigate for yourself at your school - look into the curriculum, calculate how many units you will have to take (premed is usually a 40 or 50 unit commitment, assuming each class is 4 units), and see if you can do it.

Thanks! Any more ideas?

I know that it's possible and may even help in the long run. I am double majoring in biology and dance (performance art). I love both equally, adn would not have it any other way. Do what u want and just fulfill your basics science requirments and u should be fine..

Good luck :clap:

I started out as an art major in undergrad, and I wound up switching majors. I think that med schools would like it, but the problem for me was that my art classes took up so much time. I found them much more time consuming than science lab classes, so I found it difficult to juggle. The classes weren't that mentally challenging, but the projects took up tons of time in addition to class time, which was usually 6 to 8 hours a week for 3 credit hours. It's definitely not impossible, but something you want to think about. There were other reasons I changed majors -- mainly that I realized when people were telling me what to draw and paint it took all of the enjoyment out of it for me. I thought that if I was not enjoying the classes, why major in it? I reasoned that I can always draw and paint on my own and switch to a science major, because at the time I was enjoying my science classes a lot more. But the draw back was, I became another boring biology major pre-med (albeit with 18 hours of studio art courses and 6 hours of art history/appreciation classes).

I'll oblige you...I was an art major at a school that runs on three, ten week terms, so I was able to get my major complete, all the other liberal arts requis, all the premed requis, and still graduate a term early. I loved the balance, particulary when I had to take a hard science that I wasn't interested in. Same goes for when I had to take an art class in which I didn't really care for the medium of the profs style. I recommend it highly, if you really want to do it. Whoever posted before about it being a time consuming major was right - so if you don't enjoy it, it's not the right way to go to try and make yourself some kind of unique premed. PM me if you have questions, but my situation was made easy by the term system at my school

Liz

I think it can show you as really well rounded if you present the material well. I have a BFA in acting and a BA in psychology and I think the art side of me really makes me a good communicator and more empathetic.

Diana

Hi.. I majored in biology and minored in art.. i love talking about the two in tandem.. if you need advice on how to address these two together, PM me... it has been a really good experience for me....

A friend of mine was just finishing up her fine art bachelors when she decided to go to vet school, and wound up staying 2 extra years to get a chemistry major. She showed me a collection she was working on of what looked like abstract acrylics, but were actually realistic interpretations of microbio/histo slides. Cool stuff. One of the smartest, hardest working people I've ever met.

Art is a tough major, though. Since you don't get fair credits for studio time, you wind up doing about 200 credits for a degree--then tack on the biochem or whatever, and you're going to be up to your eyeballs in school.

Art is really difficult. It will take a lot of your time. Only do it if you think you're up to the task of completing the major along with all of your pre-med requirements.

I know a guy who went to dental school who originally majored in art, then returned for his DDS prerequisites. He was an absolute genius - I'm sure it wouldn't have kept him from med school.