Do DO schools give any need based grants or scholarships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

techiewizz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If my parents make less than 70k. I'm wondering if it's really worth it to force them to fill out the fafsa, like if I get any scholarships.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school. Likely the older established schools (with a large alumni base) will have had time to establish many scholarship funds (and have a fundraising network in placement to raise scholarship money). Also with a large (and older) alumni base, alumni are more likely to donate significant amount of money (compare to newer schools where their alumni are still in training or with large amount of school loan debt)

In addition, older schools will have connections with local businesses that may offer scholarships.

When I was at PCOM, I got several local business scholarships (it all went through PCOM's financial aid office, so I didn't have to apply for them separately). In addition, I got several scholarships from the schools (board of trustee's scholarship, etc). The school would also hold fundraisers (phone-a-thon, where students would call alumni to ask for donations - the students would be paid for their time) to raise scholarship funds. And it was interesting to see alumni give $5k-$25k immediately over the phone (without hesitation).

There's no harm in having your parents fill out their portion of FAFSA - and it may qualify you for school/business scholarships. And when you think about it, spending 30 minutes to get several thousand dollars in scholarship - think in terms of $/hr invested that you can earn. And worse case situation, there is no scholarship money - and you have lost nothing except a little bit of time.

So go for it. You never know what you may get.