Do... DO schools give need based aid or any other type of financial aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpfuldoc2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do... DO schools give need based aid or any other type of financial aid? Whats the typical package and how much loans does a typical DO student take out? What DO schools are the best deal? Which ones are the most expensive?

Members don't see this ad.

Do... DO schools give need based aid or any other type of financial aid? Whats the typical package and how much loans does a typical DO student take out? What DO schools are the best deal? Which ones are the most expensive?

There's no difference MD vs. DO on financial aid. There are scholarships at both, and both participate in state and federal aid programs.

MD or DO, the school produces a budget (also called Cost of Attendance) which determines the federal aid you can get. You can get private loans above COA. COA is going to be at least $35k/yr, more likely $60k/yr. For the sake of planning, assume you're not getting any free money, and multiply COA by 4 to get your debt load.

Some schools like Nova and UNECOM offer OPP fellowships, which add a year to your pre-clinical schedule, and then you get free tuition for clinical years. These programs, obviously, are competitive, as are any free money.

State-supported public DO schools are the best deal, if you live in a state that has one. Texas is downright cheap.

Next cheapest is either LECOM campus, because these rock stars have found a way to keep private school tuition down to $25k/yr.

Otherwise, you're looking at $30k to $45k for private or OOS DO tuition.

Download the DO version of the MSAR at http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Pages/default.aspx

There's no difference MD vs. DO on financial aid. There are scholarships at both, and both participate in state and federal aid programs.

MD or DO, the school produces a budget (also called Cost of Attendance) which determines the federal aid you can get. You can get private loans above COA. COA is going to be at least $35k/yr, more likely $60k/yr. For the sake of planning, assume you're not getting any free money, and multiply COA by 4 to get your debt load.

Some schools like Nova and UNECOM offer OPP fellowships, which add a year to your pre-clinical schedule, and then you get free tuition for clinical years. These programs, obviously, are competitive, as are any free money.

State-supported public DO schools are the best deal, if you live in a state that has one. Texas is downright cheap.

Next cheapest is either LECOM campus, because these rock stars have found a way to keep private school tuition down to $25k/yr.

Otherwise, you're looking at $30k to $45k for private or OOS DO tuition.

Download the DO version of the MSAR at http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Pages/default.aspx

Thanks, very useful response. I was wondering people on here, what type of debt do you have or take per year. Anyone get some free money, if so with what stats?
Thanks...

Members don't see this ad :)
Bumping up this thread. I am wondering if DO schools give institutional low interest loans. Or are Stafford/Grad Plus loans my only hope?

Bumping up this thread. I am wondering if DO schools give institutional low interest loans. Or are Stafford/Grad Plus loans my only hope?

Basically be prepared to take out gov loans for nearly full cost of attendance. The full amount in loans we're allowed to take out (at my school) is around $60k a year and I take out the whole thing (even with a spouse working full time). No scholarships, no need-based aid. They do have scholarships that you can apply for if you are an in-state resident and agree to practice in the state for X amount of years after residency. Good chunk of my loans are around 8% interest (yikes!). I'm a first year and my interest is accruing at about $13/day already! Best advice: try not to think about the money you're taking out, you'll pay it off eventually.

$13 a day? That's a lot of coffee per day!

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
$13 a day? That's a lot of coffee per day!

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk

When my friend graduated last year his interest was accruing at over $150/day! I dread getting an email like that.

5d2219aae47c2e89131cf6f107171dd1.jpg

Reactions: 2 users