Do DO students take USMLE 2 and/or 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheSeanieB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to take USMLE step 1 so that I will have a better application when applying to the allopathic match.

Is it recommended to plan to take USMLE step 2 for the allopathic application? What percentage of DO students applying allopathic take it.

Is there any reason to take USMLE step 3? Does anyone ever take it that graduates with a DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Most DO students who take USMLE Step 1 also take Step 2 if they are still planning to apply to ACGME accredited residencies at that time. There are some residencies (all the surgical fields in particular) that seem to feel comparing apples to apples (USMLE to USMLE) is the best. Most do NOT take USMLE Step 3, there is no reason to once you are already part of a residency program as you do not need it for licensing. The only reason for a DO to take Step 3 would be if they were still trying to match.

Survivor DO

If I plan on applying for a medicine fellowship after doing a ACGME IM residency, should I take Step 3?