DO docs: OMT and Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docdoc121

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was more or less destroyed when I asked this question in some other forums. It seems as though there is little to no room for OMT in certain specialties like EM, Anesthesia, etc. However, I was wondering if one can incorporate OMT to some degree in surgical post-op? So my question is, do you DO surgeons ever use OMT? if you do, how often and in which type of cases? obviously, you don't use it during surgery, but do you ever use it in other scenarios. if you don't, can you please tell me (politely) if that's due to time restrictions, lack of skill, and/or due to the hospital setting? i'm attending DO school in the Fall.

(i'm also asking this question in the pain medicine and neurology forums)

Members don't see this ad.

I was more or less destroyed when I asked this question in some other forums. It seems as though there is little to no room for OMT in certain specialties like EM, Anesthesia, etc. However, I was wondering if one can incorporate OMT to some degree in surgical post-op? So my question is, do you DO surgeons ever use OMT? if you do, how often and in which type of cases? obviously, you don't use it during surgery, but do you ever use it in other scenarios. if you don't, can you please tell me (politely) if that's due to time restrictions, lack of skill, and/or due to the hospital setting? i'm attending DO school in the Fall.

(i'm also asking this question in the pain medicine and neurology forums)

Posting in multiple forums is a no-no here on SDN. Boy, I hope this doesn't degenerate into the 100th "DO vs. MD" thread we've had recently.

Maybe we can talk about international graduate DO's performing OMT in community surgery residency programs. That way there's something for everyone. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe we can talk about international graduate DO's performing OMT in community surgery residency programs. That way there's something for everyone. :)

Only if this IMG is deaf with an essential tremor....

I was wondering if one can incorporate OMT to some degree in surgical post-op? So my question is, do you DO surgeons ever use OMT? if you do, how often and in which type of cases? obviously, you don't use it during surgery, but do you ever use it in other scenarios. if you don't, can you please tell me (politely) if that's due to time restrictions, lack of skill, and/or due to the hospital setting?

OMT can certainly be used post-op. Some of the theoretical indications are for pain control and prevention or treatment of atelectasis and ileus. It's almost never done....mostly due to time constraints, lack of interest, and generally unproven efficacy when compared to other modalities (e.g. incentive spirometer for atelectasis). I'm in a DO surgery residency at a DO hospital and and the only time I've seen surgeons perform OMT is on other surgeons. ;)

Man, I'm feeling like I spend too much time here, since I remember every thread about that deaf, DO with essential tremor, who graduated from a foreign medical school and worries about whether his huge arms from lifting daily in the gym will affect his surgical ability, whether he will be able to ride his bike during residency and wants to know what his chances are of getting into said residency in the first place, but is kind of freaked out since he thinks that DNP's will soon have privileges to perform surgery through his state's nursing board and feels that surgeons will be replaced soon anyway due to Obamacare.

Search engine -> Dr JPH.

... probably the most work on OMM and G Surg you'll find around.