Do Dope Anatomy concurrently with Zanki ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExplodingUlcers

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current MS1 doing Anking alongside classes. My curriculum is two pass and systems based. I recently hit an anatomy heavy block (GI/repro) and was looking to augment with the dope anatomy deck.

Is this sustainable or possibly even overkill?

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Dope anatomy is great. I have used it almost exclusively since the start of 2nd year for anatomy studies. I don't think it is overkill provided you have a good balance to your Zanki-ing.

300-500 Zanki Reviews (use a load balancer add-on, adjust until you get your daily reviews to fall into this range)
50-100 Dope Reviews
100-200 Zanki New Cards
Total: 450-800 Cards/day

That's probably a decent pace if you are an Anki heavy studier. That should be about 3 hours worth of ANKI, add in 5 other hours for class material/labs/etc. and you have a solid 8 hour day.

Reactions: 2 users
Whoops, realized you said "Anking" not Zanki...still I think those decks are on a similar order of total # of cards. Correct me if I am wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoops, realized you said "Anking" not Zanki...still I think those decks are on a similar order of total # of cards. Correct me if I am wrong.
Yeah I generally use Zanki and Anking interchangeably lol. Thank you! I'll definitely give it a shot this block and see how it goes. Also, how did you get through the GI physiology/anatomy deck in Zanki? I already finished the Costanzo based cards but now I'm having difficulty slogging through the rest if the deck which has a decent amount of anatomy/histo. Not sure if you had difficulty with that portion too.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I generally use Zanki and Anking interchangeably lol. Thank you! I'll definitely give it a shot this block and see how it goes. Also, how did you get through the GI physiology/anatomy deck in Zanki? I already finished the Costanzo based cards but now I'm having difficulty slogging through the rest if the deck which has a decent amount of anatomy/histo. Not sure if you had difficulty with that portion too.

In my experience you can do Zanki two ways:

1.) Cards alongside classes, unsuspending cards as you cover material in class. Since you are new to this material, the cards will be a slog. The upside is there is a longer timeframe for spaced repetition to work its magic before an in house exam.

2.) Finish the block and do all of the Zanki cards in the last week or so when you have a grasp on the material. This makes individual cards go a lot easier, but you now have to do 1500+ in a week and will only see those cards 2-3 times before an exam depending on your intervals.

I stuck to method #1. IMHO, it isn't supposed to be easy. It's just the way it is. If it is easy, then something is off. On the other hand, if it feels like torture then something is wrong there as well. Find a balance.

As you round the corner into your second year, start using a QBank. I think Rx pairs well with having done Zanki/FA throughout your courses. I found that there is another element needed to apply Zanki knowledge to questions that can only be trained through practice. I started out in 40-50% but quickly improved that to 70-80% with practice.

Zanki MS1/2 + Rx Second Year until + UFAP in dedicated is the strategy I am banking on. It is a tried a true method, so I have a lot of faith.

Lastly, I have tried to not make learning a chore and to get excited from time to time about a concept or two. Those tend to be the ones that I know the best, which just reduces the amount needed to master come dedicated. I don't think you can get excited about every topic, but try and have a few!

Reactions: 1 users