Do DO's and MD's take the same boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadowclaws

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question might seem real obvious, but I was just wondering since DO's can compete for MD residencies.

Members don't see this ad.

This question might seem real obvious, but I was just wondering since DO's can compete for MD residencies.

MD=USMLE
DO=COMLEX

but a DO can take the USMLE and match into a MD residency. but not vice versa

do you mean licensure boards (already addressed: USMLE & COMLEX) or specialty boards?

Specialty boards are based on which residency you do. For example: if you do an MD surgery residency you take the MD surgery board for your board certifcation. if you do a DO surgery residency you take the DO surgery board for your board certification. These two are equivalent. Some specialties allow DO resident grads to take the MD board certification exams (or DO grads of MD residencies to take the DO board certificatin exams), but I'm not sure which specialties do this (and there really isn't any reason to be board certified in both for the same specialty in most cases).

Members don't see this ad :)
MD=USMLE
DO=COMLEX

but a DO can take the USMLE and match into a MD residency. but not vice versa

However, because of DO rules, if you match to a DO residency, then you are automatically dropped out of the MD match. Oh, and the DO match is before the MD match, so basically you have to forgo the DO match if you want to get into an MD program. :rolleyes:

However, because of DO rules, if you match to a DO residency, then you are automatically dropped out of the MD match. Oh, and the DO match is before the MD match, so basically you have to forgo the DO match if you want to get into an MD program. :rolleyes:

Its really not that big of an issue. Simply focus on the match that will allow you to match into your top choice program.

You shouldnt be ranking ANY programs in either match that you wouldnt want to attend.

I never understood why so many people got upset about this...especially people who are years away from the match.

Obviously because they're thinking in terms of medical school apps where you have "reach schools" and "safety schools". They think that the DO match should be their "safety match".

Sorry folks, it doesn't work that way.

I agree.

"If I dont make allopathic Ortho I will just go DO ortho."

It doesnt work that way.

Even if the matches were combined the competitive specialties would fill and the primary care would still be around 50%.

So lets combine the match and allow MDs and DOs to apply broadly to any program. This would force the lower tier programs to improve their education and their reputation while the top programs in both the MD and DO world would benefit from a broader applicant pool.

This would allow the best of the best DO applicants a chance to go to an allopathic program if they chose, rather than taking the "guaranteed" DO spot...and it would bring MDs into the best DO programs.

MDs have more choices for application and the DO programs will integrate MDs, hopefully allowing for a breakdown of any bias or osteopathic ignorance that may still exist.

Afterall, what is the end goal?

To have the best and brightest people attending the best programs for each given specialty. :thumbup: